Information Sessions and Advising
Check out Study Abroad 101
i It's recommended to attend an info sesion prior to application, but not required.
You must attend a Study Abroad 101 session or watch the Study Abroad 101 Video Series prior to receiving advising.
Option A: Study Abroad 101 Information Sessions (recommended)
Attend an in-depth information session to discover all of your study abroad options and discover which may be the best fit for you.
Research Your Options
Once you've attended/watched Study Abroad 101, you can start doing more research on the specific program(s) that interest you.
International Services for Stuents (ISS) programs:
- Check out the Destinations and details included in each institution profile page
- Read exchange reports and questionnaires to get a student perspective on different exchange institutions
- Attend a Field School Information Session for the program you are interested in. Please view the Study Abroad Calendar for further details and dates/times/locations.
Talk to an Advisor
If during your research, you have any questions about programs run by ISS (Exchanges or Field Schools), you can connect with us for advising in the following ways:
You can email your questions to the Study Abroad Advisor for an area you are interested in studying. If not decided, please email either advisor. Be sure to include:
- your full legal name
- SFU Student ID number
- area you are interested in studying, if known
- comfirm that you have attended or watched Study Abroad 101.
2: Scheduled appointment
Check out the Study Abroad Calendar to see when advising appointments are offered.
To book an advising appointment:
- Log into the Study Abroad System (if you do not have an existing account please register first).
- Click on "Appointments"
- Complete the search filters to book an appointment. Selecting the correct filters will allow the appropriate staff member to best advise you.
- Prospective Students: Initial Study Abroad Advising, Applying to Exchange, Applying to Field School. Please bring your advising transcript (paper or electronic) to your appointment. Please review the information online related to your program of interest
- Nominated/Accepted Students: Nominated to Exchange (General/Host Application), Accepted to Field School. Please bring any documents you wish to discuss (eg. your printed host application documents).
- Returned from Exchange: (Exchange Credit/General), Returned from Field School
} Tip: Add a Student Note to your appointment if there are specific things you would like to discuss in your appointment.
3: Phone or Skype advising
In person advising is recommended, however if you cannot attend in person you may submit a request for phone (local calls only) or Skype advising. When filling out the appointment request in the Study Abroad System, add a comment under “Student Note” indicating you would like to meet over the phone or Skype, and include your phone number or Skype name.