You must complete one of the following prior to receiving study abroad advising:
Option A: Study Abroad 101 Information Sessions (recommended)
Attend an in-depth info session to discover all of your study abroad options and discover which may be the best fit for you.
Option B: Study Abroad 101 Video Series
Watch this 3-part video series on the basics of studying abroad.
Once you've attended/watched Study Abroad 101, you can start doing more research on the specific program(s) that interest you.
International Services for Students (ISS) programs:
- Check out the Destinations and details included in each institution profile page
- Read exchange reports and questionnaires to get a student perspective on different exchange institutions
- Attend a Field School Information Session for the program you are interested in. Please view the Study Abroad Calendar for further details and dates/times/locations.
Talk to a Student
You can connect with a student who has completed a study abroad program and ask questions about what it's actually like to study abroad!
Other international opportunities are available to SFU students. Please note these programs are not administered by ISS.
You can email your questions to the Study Abroad Advisor for the program you are interested in studying. Be sure to include:
- your full legal name
- SFU Student ID number
- area you are interested in studying, if known
- confirm that you have attended or watched Study Abroad 101.
3: Drop-in Advising at the Global Student Centre (GSC)
Tuesdays between 1pm - 3pm
Prospective Study Abroad advising only (considering studying abroad or applying to study abroad)
Global Student Centre (AQ 2013)
Scheduled appointments are recommended, however we now offer drop-in advising for prospective Study Abroad Advising.
Please sign in using the sign-up sheet posted outside the conference room.
(If you are a nominated or returned exchange student, please continue to book appointments through the Study Abroad System.)
2: Scheduled Appointments in ISS, MBC 1200
Check out the Study Abroad Calendar to see when advising appointments are offered.
To book an advising appointment:
- Log into the Study Abroad System (if you do not have an existing account please register first).
- Click on "Appointments"
- Complete the search filters to book an appointment. Selecting the correct filters will allow the appropriate staff member to best advise you.
- Prospective Students: Initial Study Abroad Advising, Applying to Exchange, Applying to Field School. Please bring your advising transcript (paper or electronic) to your appointment. Please review the information online related to your program of interest
- Nominated/Accepted Students: Nominated to Exchange (General/Host Application), Accepted to Field School. Please bring any documents you wish to discuss (eg. your printed host application documents).
- Returned from Exchange: (Exchange Credit/General)
- Returned from Field School
Tip: Add a Student Note to your appointment if there are specific things you would like to discuss in your appointment.
Running Late or Cancelling?
- If you are running late please inform ISS by calling 778.782.4232. If you are more than 5 minutes late and we have not been notified, your appointment will be cancelled.
- A limited number of appointments are offered a week. In consideration of others, if you cannot make your appointment, please change or cancel it in advance in your Study Abroad System account.
Phone or Skype advising
In person advising is recommended, however if you cannot attend in person you may submit a request for phone (local calls only) or Skype advising. When filling out the appointment request in the Study Abroad System, add a comment under “Student Note” indicating you would like to meet over the phone or Skype, and include your phone number or Skype name.
International Services for Students (ISS) Office
Hours: Monday - Friday 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM (except holidays)
Location: Maggie Benston Centre 1200, Burnaby Campus