- Alumni Scholarships for Students in Kinesiology
- The Craig Asmundson BPK Engagement Award
- The Harold Hancheroff Memorial Scholarship in Sports Education
- Dr. Josephine Anthony Award in BPK
- National Bank Financial Award
- The Nihal Singh Ras Undergraduate Bursary
- Stephen Harold Edward Herring Award
- Undergraduate Travel and Minor Research Awards in BPK
- The BCAK - Craig Asmundson Undergraduate Bursary in Kinesiology
- BPK Co-op
- Careers/Professional Resources
- Degree Programs
- Admission & Transferring
- Current Students
- Financial Aid
- News and Events
- Support BPK
Dr. Andrew Blaber
B.Sc. Honours Marine Biology M.Sc. Biophysics (University Guelph)
B.Ed Physics/Biology (University of Western Ontario)
Ph.D. Kinesiology (University of Waterloo)
Phone: (778) 782-3276
Fax: (778) 782-3040
Aerospace Physiology Laboratory
The Aerospace Physiology Laboratory conducts research related to human physiological responses and adaptations to Terrestrial and Space environments. The Director, Dr. Blaber, has a special interest in modeling cerebral blood flow regulation under various environmental conditions. Located in the Department of Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology at Simon Fraser University the laboratory has cardiovascular, respiratory, blood flow, tilt table, lower body negative pressure, and exercise testing capabilities. The lab specializes in non-invasive measurements of human physiology. The lab has the capability to measure continuous non-invasive heart rate, arterial blood pressure, blood flow (Transcranial Doppler Ultrasound for cerebral and other arterial blood vessels), breath-by-breath respiratory gas exchange, skeletal muscle electromyography (EMG), and postural sway (Forceplate). Recently we conducted experiments to test the relationship between cerebral blood flow regulation and fainting in the elderly; the effect of altitude on orthostatic intolerance; and the effects of chronic exposure to high levels of carbon dioxide on cerebral autoregulation and orthostatic tolerance. Presently we are conducting experiments to investigate: physiological responses and adaptations to altitude; cerebral blood flow during exercise at various altitudes; effects of weightlessness (space flight) and hypergravity (human centrifuge) on cardiovascular reflexes; and, the relationship of cardiovascular and postural controls with aging and with concussion.
Some papers are listed with links to download PDF format copies. Be aware that publishers might place restrictions on access to some papers.
- Blaber, A.P., Goswami, N., Bondar R.L., Kassam, M.S. (2011) Impairment of cerebral blood flow regulation in astronauts with post-flight orthostatic intolerance. Stroke. 2011 42:1844-1850.
- Hachiya, T, Walsh, M.L., Saito, M. ., Blaber, A.P. (2010) Delayed vasoconstrictor response to venous pooling in the calf is associated with high orthostatic tolerance to LBNP. J Appl Physiol 109: 996–1001.
- Tavakolian, K., Ngai, B., Akhbardeh, A., Blaber, A.P., Kaminska, B. (2009) Comparative Analysis of Infrasonic Cardiac Signals. Computers in Cardiology. 36:757−760.
- Ngai, B., Tavakolian, K., Akhbardeh, A., Blaber, A.P., Kaminska, B., and Noordergraaf, A. (2009) Comparative Analysis of Seismocardiogram Waves with the Ultra-Low Frequency Ballistocardiogram. 31st IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology conference, 978-1-4244-3296-7/09/2851:2854.
- Blaber AP, Landrock CK and Souvestre PA (2009) Cardio-postural deconditioning: a model for post flight orthostatic intolerance. Resp Physiol Neurobiol. 169(Suppl 1):S21-S25
- Souvestre, P.A., Landrock, C.K., and Blaber, A.P. (2008) Reducing incapacitating symptoms during space flight: is postural deficiency syndrome an applicable model? Hippokratia 2008, 12 (Suppl 1): 41-48.
- Souvestre, P.A., Landrock, C.K., and Blaber, A.P. (2008) New paradigm for understanding in-flight decision making errors: a neurophysiological model leveraging human factors. Hippokratia 2008, 12 (Suppl 1): 78-83.
- Souvestre, P.A., Landrock, C.K., and Blaber, A.P. (2008) Space motion sickness: the sensory motor controls and cardiovascular correlation. Acta Astronautica 63, 745-757.
- Hachiya T., Blaber A.P., Aizawa S., and Saito M. (2008) Heart rate responses at onset of contraction. Int J Sports Med 29:646-651.
- Hachiya, T., Blaber, A.P., and Saito, M. (2008) Near-infrared spectroscopy provides an index of blood flow and vasoconstriction during LBNP. Acta Physiologica 193, 117–127.
- Seedhouse, E.L.O., Walsh, M.L. and Blaber, A.P. (2006) Heart rate, blood pressure, and pulmonary function changes associated with an ultra-endurance triathlon. Wilderness Environ. Med. 17:240–245.
- Seedhouse, E.L.O. and Blaber, A.P. (2005) A comparison of elite and non-elite endurance athlete responses to high altitude. Wilderness Environ. Med. 16:198-203.
- Hachiya, T., Blaber, A.P., and Saito, M. (2004). Changes in thigh superficial blood distribution during LBNP assessed by NIRS. Aviat. Space Environ. Med. 75:118-122.
- Blaber, A.P., Walsh, M.L., Carter, J.B., Seedhouse, E.L.O., and Walker, V. (2004) Cardiopulmonary physiology and responses of ultra-marathon athletes to prolonged exercise. Can. J. Appl. Physiol. 29:544-563.
- Blaber, A.P., Hartley, T., and Pretorius, P.J. (2003). Effect of acute exposure to 3,660 m altitude on orthostatic responses and tolerance. J. Appl. Physiol. 95:591-601.
- Carter, J.B., Banister, E.W., and Blaber, A.P. (2003). The influence of age and gender on heart rate variability following endurance training. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 35:1333-1340.
- Carter, J.B., Banister, E.W. and Blaber, A.P. (2003). Effect of endurance exercise on autonomic control of heart rate. J. Sports Med. 33:33-46.
- Blaber, A.P., Bondar, R.L., and Kassam, M.S. (2003) Heart rate variability and short duration spaceflight: relationship to post-flight orthostatic intolerance. BMC Physiology 4:6
- Blaber, A.P., Bondar, R.L., Moradshahi, P., Serrador,J.M., and Hughson, R.L. (2001). Inspiratory CO2 increases orthostatic tolerance during repeated tilt. Aviat. Space Environ. Med. 72:985-991.
- Blaber, A.P., Bondar R.L., Stein F., Dunphy P.T., Moradshahi P., Freeman R. (1997) Complexity of Middle Cerebral Artery Blood Flow Velocity: Effects of Tilt and Autonomic Failure. Am.J.Physiol. 273:H2209-H2216.
- Blaber, A.P., Bondar R.L., Stein F., Dunphy P.T., Moradshahi P., Kassam, M.S. Freeman R. (1997) Transfer function analysis of cerebral autoregulation dynamics in autonomic failure patients. Stroke 28(9):1686-1692.
- Bondar, R.L., Dunphy P.T., Kassam M.S., Moradshahi P., Blaber A.P., Stein F., Freeman R. (1997) Cerebrovascular and cardiovascular response to graded tilt in patients with autonomic failure. Stroke 28(9):1677-1685.
- Blaber A.P. & Hughson R.L. (1996) Cardiorespiratory interactions during fixed pace resistive breathing. J.Appl.Physiol. 80:1618-1626.
- Blaber A.P., Bondar R.L. & Freeman R. (1996) Coarse grained spectral analysis of HR and BP variability in patients with autonomic failure. Am.J.Physiol. 271:H1555-H1564.
- Blaber A.P., Yamamoto Y. & Hughson R.L. (1995) Change in phase relationship between systolic BP and RR-interval during lower body negative pressure. Am.J.Physiol. 268, H1688-H1693.
- Blaber A.P., Yamamoto Y. & Hughson R.L. (1995) Methodology of spontaneous baroreflex relationship assessed by surrogate data analysis. Am.J.Physiol. 268, H1682-H1687.
- Hughson R.L., Yamamoto Y., Blaber A.P., Maillet A., Fortrat J.O., Pavy-LeTroan A., Marine J.F., Güell A., Gharib C. (1994) Effect of 28 day continuous head down bedrest with countermeasures on heart rate variability during LBNP. Aviat. Space Environ. Med., 65:293-300.