- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- BPK Co-op
- Alumni Scholarships for Students in Kinesiology
- The Craig Asmundson BPK Engagement Award
- The Harold Hancheroff Memorial Scholarship in Sports Education
- Dr. Josephine Anthony Award in BPK
- National Bank Financial Award
- The Nihal Singh Ras Undergraduate Bursary
- Stephen Harold Edward Herring Award
- Undergraduate Travel and Minor Research Awards in BPK
- The BCAK - Craig Asmundson Undergraduate Bursary in Kinesiology
- Careers/Professional Resources
- News and Events
- Support BPK
Dr. Matthew White
B.Sc. (Hons) Kinesiology (1986)
M. Sc. Kinesiology -Temperature Regulation (1989)
Ph.D. Physiology-Endocrinology (1993)
Phone: (778) 782-3344
Fax: (778) 782-3040
Laboratory for Exercise & Environmental Physiology (LEEP):
Lab Room Number K8609, LEEP
Phone: (778) 782-6895
Human temperature regulation, control of breathing and energy expenditure.
My research themes are focused in three main areas. They are control of breathing, temperature regulation and energy expenditure. My main research contributions include the influence of temperature in the control of breathing, mechanisms underlying temperature regulation as well as physical and metabolic influences on energy expenditure.
Selected publications in three main areas of interest:
Control of Breathing
- Curtis, AN, Walsh, ML, White, MD. Influence of passive hyperthermia on human ventilation during rest and isocapnic hypoxia. Applied Physiol Nutr Metabol 32: 721-732, 2007.
- Chu, AL, Jay, O, White, MD. The effects of hyperthermia and hypoxia on ventilation during low intensity steady-state exercise. Am J Physiol (Reg Int Comp Physiol) 292: R195–R203, 2007.
- Jay, O, Christensen, JPH, White, MD. Face-only immersion in cold water reduces maximal apnoeic time and stimulates ventilation. Exp Physiol 92: 197–206, 2007.
- Jay, O., White, MD. Maximum effort breath-hold times for males and females of similar pulmonary capacities during sudden face-only immersion at water temperatures from 0°C to 33°C. Appl Physiol Nutr 31:549-556, 2006.
- Sancheti, A, White, MD. Reproducibility of the relationships between ventilation and esophageal temperature during hyperthermia in humans. Eur J of Appl Physiol 96: 495-504, 2006.
- White, MD. Components and mechanisms of thermal hyperpnea. J Appl Physiol 101: 655-663, 2006.
- Jay, O, White, MD. The combined effects of local contact force and lower arm cooling upon cutaneous blood cell velocity of the fingertip. Eur J Appl Physiol 97:332-39, 2006.
- Mariak, Z, White, MD, Lyson, T, Lewko, J. Tympanic temperature reflects intracranial temperature changes in humans. Pflugers Archives 446(2), 279-85, 2003.
- White, MD, Johnston, CE, Wu, M, Giesbrecht, GG. Ethanol ingestion increases syncope following 63° head-up tilt in hyperthermic subjects. Aviat Space Environ Med 69(6):577-82, 1998.
- White, MD, Cabanac, M. Exercise hyperpnea and hyperthermia. J Appl Physiol, 81(3):1249-1254, 1996.
- Cabanac, M, White, MD. Passive hyperthermia and core temperature thresholds for hyperpnea in humans. Eur J of Appl Physiol 70:71-76, 1995.
- White, MD, Mekjavic, IB. Comparison of core threshold temperatures for sweating and shivering based on esophageal and rectal temperatures. Can J Physiol Pharm 71: 597-603, 1993.
- White, MD, Ross, WD, Mekjavic, IB. Relationships between physique and rectal temperature cooling. Undersea Biomed Res 19: 121-130, 1992.
- Alexandrou, E, Herzberg, GR, White, MD. High-level medium chain triglyceride feeding and energy expenditure in normal weight women. Can J Physiol Pharmcol, 85(5):507-13, 2007.
- White, MD, Papamandjaris, A, Jones PJH. Enhanced postprandial energy expenditure with medium chain fatty acid feeding is attenuated after 14 days in premenopausal women. Am J Clin Nutr 69: 883-9, 1999.
- Papamandjaris, AA, White, MD Jones, PJH. Components of total energy expenditure in healthy young women are not affected after 14 days of feeding with medium-versus long-chain triglycerides. Obesity Research 7(3):273-280, 1999.
- White, MD, Bouchard, G, Buemann, B, Alméras, N, Després, J-P, Bouchard, C, Tremblay, A. Reproducibility of 24 hour respiratory quotient, macronutrients oxidation and energy expenditure. J Appl Physiol, 80(3):133-139, 1996.