Learning, Development and Performance Management
Learn to solve employee performance issues through best practices in training, performance management and coaching systems.
You'll be able to confidently support line managers and executives to diagnose and resolve performance challenges using effective feedback and coaching methods. You will also learn to design and deliver practical learning solutions to advance organizational objectives.
Core topics include: systematic planning for training design and delivery, measuring performance expectations, and using relevant methods to reflect the value of training, development and performance management programs.If you're new to the field of human resources, you should take Human Resources Management in Canada (CHRM200) before taking this course.
Format: Self-paced within deadlines set by instructor
Duration: 8 weeks
Can be applied to:
Human Resources Management Certificate
Register for a course at any time, with the option to apply to a program later.
- Mon, Sep 18 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Sep 25 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Oct 2 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Oct 9 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Oct 16 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Oct 23 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Oct 30 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Nov 6 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Jan 22 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Jan 29 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Feb 5 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Feb 12 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Feb 19 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Feb 26 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Mar 4 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Mar 11 (self-paced all week)
What you will learn
After completing this course, you’ll be able to do the following:
- Distinguish between the strategic roles of training, learning, development and performance management
- Apply career management principles to engage in career development planning
- Apply learning needs analysis techniques to address performance issues
- Design learning and deliver training programs
- Apply a performance management process to improve behaviours and results
- Design criteria to evaluate training, learning and performance management systems
How you will learn and be evaluated
- Prepare to spend 7–10 hours per week on coursework
- Expect readings and other assignments on a weekly basis
- Plan to access the course at least once every few days to keep up with your work and class discussions
- Connect with the instructor via email, online posts, and optional live Q&A Zoom sessions scheduled by the instructor (summaries/recordings available)
You will be evaluated on:
- Assignments (individual and group)
- Participation in online discussions
To earn the certificate, complete all courses with a minimum average grade of C.
Course fees do not include textbooks. We recommend you purchase your textbook as soon as you’ve registered. We will provide additional course materials online.
Saks, A., Haccoun, R. Managing Performance Through Training and Development, 8th Edition. Top Hat, 2019. Available as an e-book from the publisher.
Note: A new 9th edition will be required as of January 2024. Updated textbook details will be available this fall.
For online courses, you will need a computer with audio and microphone that is connected to the internet. Canvas is the online system that will be used for the course. For more information and online support, visit Online Learning.