Freelancing and Career Development for Legal Interpreters and Translators
This course will further prepare you for professional practice in the legal interpretation and translation profession. We'll cover court interpreter and translator certification, business creation and administration, marketing, establishing and maintaining client relationships, and other knowledge and skills that are essential to working as a freelance legal interpreter and/or translator. You’ll also learn how to move ahead in this challenging yet rewarding career.
Instructor: Karin Reinhold
What you will learn
After completing this course, you’ll be able to do the following:
- Describe freelancing as legal interpreters and translators
- Create a professional marketing portfolio
- Describe business management and development
- Explain the importance of lifelong learning
How you will learn and be evaluated
- Prepare to spend 2–3 hours per week on coursework in addition to attending classes
- Expect lectures, presentations, case studies and discussions
You’ll be evaluated on:
- Exams and quizzes
To graduate with the Legal and Interpretation and Translation Certificate, complete all courses with an overall grade of B– (70%).
For online courses, you will need a computer with audio and microphone that is connected to the internet. Canvas is the online system that will be used for the course. For more information and online support, visit Online Learning.