Marina Sonkina's initiation into the world of academia happened at the age of 18, as a freshman at the Moscow State University. She was enjoying a seminar on 18th-century Russian cultural history, presented by the famous scholar Uri Lotman.
As a PhD student of this professor, Sonkina made a discovery: "All aspects of human culture are deeply interconnected," she said, "in spite of a seeming fragmentation of the disciplines of those who study culture." She went on to study philosophy, psychology, film, theatre, folklore and visual arts.
In 1987, Sonkina emigrated to Canada from the USSR, and became a producer and broadcaster at CBC Radio. Later, she taught at Dawson College in Montreal, followed by UBC and SFU. When she is not teaching or studying, she offers lessons in yoga and dance tango, and writes.
She writes and publishes both in English and Russian. She has produced several collections of short fiction, including Tractorina’s Stories, Runic Alphabet, Comrade Stalin's Baby Tooth (2012), Lucia's Eyes and Other Stories (2014). Her most recent book Expulsion was chosen as a 'Staff Pick' by BC BookWorld in Spring 2016. Her books are available on Amazon.com and at local bookstores.
- A Daring Eye Behind the Camera: Russian Women Film Directors LIB112
- Aesthetics of Love: A History (55+) SCFC570
- Anna Karenina and her Creator (55+) SCFC662
- Between Hell and Heaven: Russian Literature Under Communism (55+) PLUS367
- Chekhov and Bunin (55+) PLUS192
- Dostoyevsky the Visionary (55+) SCFC714
- From Cicero to Sacks: Sages on Aging (55+) PLUS149
- Genius of the Place: Great Artists and Their Cities (55+) SCFC891
- On the Edge of Empires: The Ancient Cultures of Armenia and Georgia (55+) PLUS297
- Petrarch and His World: The Story of "The Father of Humanism" (55+) SCFC520
- Picturing the Holy: The Russian Icon Through the Ages (55+) SCFC949
- Russia's Arts on Film (55+) SCFC860
- Russian Cinema: Freedom and Restraint (55+) SCFC786
- Soviet Cinema: Wars, Revolution and Propaganda (55+) SCFC795
- The Art of Short Story Reading (55+) PLUS277
- The Forgotten Splendour of Turgenev's Art (55+) PLUS299
- The Making of a Dictator: Putin’s Rise to Power
- Tolstoy on Love: Anna Karenina, The Kreutzer Sonata and Family Happiness (55+) PLUS363