Tax information

As an SFU Continuing Studies student, you may be able to reduce any income tax owed if any of the courses or programs you took meet the educational criteria set by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)

Enrollment Services staff are not able to answer tax-related questions. If you have other questions about tuition and enrollment credit, please contact the Canada Revenue Agency directly.

T2202 Tuition and Enrolment Certificate

The T2202 summarizes tuition and months of study in qualifying courses. To be eligible to receive this tax form, you must be enrolled in a program of study, such as a certificate or diploma, and have taken a course or courses from that program in the past calendar year. For more information on your eligibility, visit the Canada Revenue Agency. Simon Fraser University is a designated education institution.

  • SFU Continuing Studies mails T2202 forms to eligible students in February of each year. It is not available for download.
  • A duplicate copy of your T2202 is available at no charge. Complete the T2202 Duplicate Request Form, including your full name and current mailing address. 
  • We can only provide this form to a third party with your written authorization.
  • We also send the form to international students so they can complete their Canadian income tax returns.

Fees included on T2202

Eligible tuition fees are based on the calendar year for which the fees are assessed, not the date on which the fees are paid. For example, if a program has an October 1 start date and a March 31 end date, only the tuition fee representing the October through December period will be reflected in the current year tax certificate. The January through March amount will be reflected on the following year’s T2202.

Social Insurance Number (SIN) required for T2202

Starting in the 2019 tax year, Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has required all designated educational institutions in Canada to include the student's Social Insurance Number (SIN) on the T2202. More information on this requirement can be found here.

You can provide your SIN through your student account.

  1. Go to and log in to your account.
  2. Go to the My Account tab.
  3. From the drop-down, select Update Profile.
  4. Add your 9-digit Social Insurance Number (SIN).

If you do not have a SIN, visit the Government of Canada’s Apply for a SIN site.