Evaluation for Social Change and Transformational Learning
Coming September 2018
In our rapidly changing world, traditional evaluation alone is no longer adequate for measuring the impact of new and innovative programs and initiatives. Individuals and organizations experimenting with solutions to complex social problems need a new suite of strategies and tools that are grounded in innovation, systems thinking and diverse ways of knowing.
Evaluation for Social Change and Transformational Learning Certificate
Part-time, in class and online
Evaluation is undergoing (and driving) a transformation: from definitive answers to complexity-based understandings, and from formulaic approaches to managing tensions in the face of ambiguity and uncertainty. Instead of a single dominant Western perspective, evaluators must understand there are a multitude of perspectives and recognize the interconnections between them. Effective evaluators are evaluative thinkers who are increasingly embracing their roles as change-makers and innovators.
Learn how evaluation can drive social and systems change
We’ve designed our part-time Evaluation for Social Change and Transformational Learning Certificate for professional evaluators, grant-makers, internal evaluators, and program managers and leaders interested in evaluative thinking. If you’re working in sectors such as health, education, land use and planning, government or non-profit contexts, this groundbreaking new program will help you:
- Learn to design and implement an evaluation that follows the principles of transformative evaluation and learning
- Tackle tough social, economic and environmental issues, using complexity-based and systemic thinking
- Incorporate a reconciliation lens into your evaluative work
- Think critically about data and data interpretation
- Think about innovative and strengths-based ways to present “bad news” findings as learning opportunities
- Learn to communicate findings in effective and creative ways, including visual representations, social media platforms and storytelling/narrative
- Be inspired and committed to engage in evaluation as change agents
Bring your practice and your organization to the next level with this ground-breaking new program
This part-time program begins September 2018 and blends online with face-to-face learning in a total of six modules. You’ll start by meeting your cohort in Vancouver for an intensive three-day module. The remainder of the program consists of four six-week online modules, with a capstone/integration module woven throughout. You can complete the full program in 10 months.
- Transformative Evaluation Landscape
- Exploring Complexity-Based and Systemic Thinking
- Evaluation, Leadership and Learning
- Design and Implementation of Evaluation for Transformation and Learning
- Data Analysis, Interpretation and Communicating Your Findings
- Capstone, Integration and Mentorship
The program assumes a solid foundation in conventional forms of program evaluation, including both formative and summative models. It offers a transformative educational experience, based on the implicit assumptions that evaluation is (or can be) a(n):
- Driver of social change
- Learning strategy
- Empowerment tool/strategy
- Leadership function
- Platform for supporting systems change
Integrated and woven throughout both program content and delivery methods will be a number of key frameworks and themes, including a deep engagement with ethics; acknowledgement and integration of diverse epistemologies; Indigenous approaches (Two-Eyed Seeing and evaluation through a reconciliation lens); and emergent strategies. We will embed peer-to-peer learning opportunities and a mentorship component, and a capstone project that weaves throughout the whole program will allow learners to apply what they’ve learned to their professional practice.
You’ll build the key skills and core competencies needed to design and implement meaningful, culturally relevant evaluation processes in a world where change is the only constant.
Be the first to know
Registration begins fall 2017.
Sign up for email updates about this program.
Attend an info session
Wed, 04 Apr 2018 12:00 PM
Evaluation Certificate e-info session