We are interested in knowing about you. We want to bring together learners from different physical locations, identities, and experiences, and account for personal or systemic barriers. It is our intention that our learning community is a reflection of the world we are trying to create together.
The applications committee will consider many factors in reviewing applications, including experience and commitment to participate. We prioritize candidates who have experienced exclusion from university, and those who are working paid or unpaid to support a community.
- To fully benefit from this program, you are asked to commit time in class and your own individual learning/processing time.
March 21–August 3, 2023
9 a.m.–12 p.m. Pacific Time
6 hours/week in class, 2 hours/week (approximately) individual learning
8 hours/week total
Please let us know how the program will fit into your life right now and any thoughts you have about the time commitment.
- Why do you want to take this program? What are you hoping to gain by participating in this program?
- Who is your community? (Which communities are you currently, or intending, to serve?)
- What skills or experiences will you bring to the Community Capacity Building Certificate?
- Which people have shaped your understanding of the world? E.g. people you know, teachers, writers, artists, scientists, activists, philosophers, community members. Tell us about a few of these influences.
- We would like to work with you to eliminate or minimize barriers to participation. If there is a way we can help, please let us know. For example, this may include support with a computer, stable Wi-Fi, language translation, ASL interpretation, eldercare support, childcare, food, weekly summaries, etc.
- Please let us know about the education you have completed.
a. Some high school
b. High school diploma (Grade 12)
c. College or trade school, certificate or diploma
d. Undergraduate degree (bachelor's)
e. Graduate degree (master's or PhD)
g. I have more to share
- Do you identify as Indigenous? (yes / no / I don’t know / prefer not to say)
Would you like to share your nation?
- Do you identify as a Person of Colour (yes / no / I don’t know / prefer not to say)
- Is there anything you would like us to know about your culture or heritage?
- Is there anything else you would like us to know?
- How did you hear about the program?
We are invested in equity and representation in our learning environment. The questions below help us understand some of the perspectives, experiences and identities in our classroom. The following questions are optional.
Applications for the spring 2023 program will be limited to candidates living in Canada, with a priority placed on those living in B.C.