- About Us
- Institute for the Humanities
- SNF Centre for Hellenic Studies
- J. S. Woodsworth Chair in the Humanities
- Hellenic Canadian Congress of BC Chair in Hellenic Studies
- Hellenic Studies Professorship in Aegean and Mediterranean Societies and Cultures
- Edward and Emily McWhinney Professorship in International Relations
- Our Humans
- News & Events
Hellenic Canadian Congress of BC Chair in Hellenic Studies
The Hellenic Canadian Congress of BC Chair in Hellenic Studies is a full-time appointment in Global Humanities with a record of excellence in research and teaching in any discipline within the wider ambit of the humanities, with a focus on Hellenic themes or subjects. The Chair-holder maintains an active research program in their field while working in collaboration with the SNF Centre for Hellenic Studies to maintain an active community and academic outreach program, in the form of public events, symposia, conferences, roundtables, and related activities that will promote and foster a better understanding of Hellenism and Greek issues in the university community, and the public at large.
About the endowment
The Hellenic Canadian Congress of BC Endowment Fund was established in 1989 at SFU through funds raised by the Hellenic community of Vancouver, along with matching funds from the Province of British Columbia's Universities Provincial Matching Program. The first Hellenic Canadian Congress of British Columbia Chair in Hellenic Studies was later appointed in the Department of History at SFU in 1996 and taught courses that focused on the character and traditions of ancient, medieval, and modern Hellenism.
The Chair's mandate is to promote research and teaching in Greek language, literature, history and culture in ancient, medieval, and modern times by:
- Developing courses that effectively integrate their field of expertise into the curriculum and research profile of the Department of Global Humanities.
- Committing to dialogue across cultures in a manner that engages with ancient traditions and their receptions, by way of ideas, texts, and art.
- Working closely with the members of the SNF Centre for Hellenic Studies in a manner most conducive to strong research output and robust outreach among communities of Greeks and philhellenes in BC and the world over.
- Actively engaging in the research and outreach activities of Global Humanities and the SNF Centre for Hellenic Studies.
Current and Past Chair-holders
Current Chair in Hellenic Studies
The position is currently vacant. Please check back later.
Past Chair in Hellenic Studies
Dr. André Gerolymatos (1996–2019)
André Gerolymatos began his studies in Classics, before switching to History for his Ph.D. at McGill University. He joined SFU in 1996 as the inaugural holder of the Hellenic Canadian Congress of BC Chair in Hellenic Studies. Over his long career at SFU, he made significant contributions to our understanding of the Greek Civil War, and was a tireless advocate for Hellenic Studies at the university. Dr. Gerolymatos passed away in 2019 at age 67.