Graduate Studies Guide: Leaves and Withdrawals

University policy requires that graduate students remain continuously registered in order to encourage timely degree completion. Nonetheless, there are occasions in which students need to take a leave of absence. Students who wish to take a leave of absence should complete a leave of absence request form, including their supervisor’s signature and provide any required supporting documentation (such as a healthcare provider statement) prior to the start of the term in which they wish to take leave. “Leave of Absence” is a registration status. Students who neglect to request a leave and fail to register are automatically discontinued from their graduate program and must apply to be reactivated.

International students who need to take a leave of absence should check with the office of International Services for Students to confirm that they will not invalidate their study permit.

Graduate and Postgraduate Studies recognizes three types of leave for students in thesis graduate programs. These are:

    1.  Personal Leave
    2.  Parental Leave
    3.  Medical/Compassionate Leave

Personal Leave

A personal leave can be taken for any reason, and no explanation is required. However, students should be aware that personal leave terms are counted as part of the maximum number of terms allowed for program completion. All program requirements, academic unit expectations, and deadlines remain the same. Responsibility for approving a personal leave resides with the student's supervisor and the Graduate Program Chair.

Parental and Medical / Compassionate Leave

The time taken for a parental or medical/compassionate leave is not be counted towards the maximum time allowed for program completion. The maximum time limit will be adjusted accordingly but all other program requirements and academic unit expectations will remain the same. Students are required to submit supporting documentation. Responsibility for approving a parental or medical/compassionate leave (including family care) resides with Graduate and Postgraduate Studies and should have the support of the student's supervisor and the Graduate Program Chair.

For all types of leave the student must complete a Leave of Absence Request form with their supervisor’s signature and supporting documentation (if required) to the Program Assistant well before the beginning of the term for which the on-leave status is requested.

Course Withdrawal

Students may withdraw from classes for any reason up to the ninth week of a term. Students with a documented medical or family emergency may withdraw during the 10th through 12th weeks. Tuition is refunded only if the withdrawal occurs within the first two weeks of the term.

Program Withdrawal

Student may withdraw from their graduate program at any time by submitting a Withdrawal from Graduate Studies form to GPS. If, at a later date, the student wishes to resume their studies, they must reapply for admission.

See GGRs 1.8.3 for regulations surrounding Leaves of Absence and Withdraws.