Professional Accreditation

Expand your career options by applying for registration as a Professional Geoscientist (Environmental Geoscience) or Professional Agrologist.

Within Canada, Agrology and Geoscience are regulated professions, just like Engineering or Medicine.  In order to use the professional title, Professional Agrologists and Geoscientists must be accredited by the legislating body in the province in which they wish to practice and must conform to the code of ethics and standards of practice outlined by the relevant professional organization (the BC Institute of Agrologists (BCIA) or Engineers & Geoscientists of BC (EGBC)). Our Physical Geography programs allow you to complete the coursework needed for professional registration.   


Interested in obtaining professional accreditation?  Come see an advisor for details on the courses required.

Professional Geoscientist

What is the Professional Geoscientist qualification?

As a regulated profession, registration is required if you intend to work as a Professional Geoscientist (P. Geo., Environmental Geoscience) within Canada.

Professional Environmental Geoscientists work in a wide range of professions.  These include environmental monitoring, rehabilitation, planning and public relations, atmospheric science, resource management (e.g., forests, water), terrain evaluation, soil science, forest geoscience, land use planning, mapping of surficial deposits, and the application of remote sensing and GIS.


How do I become registered as a Professional Environmental Geoscientist?

There are four steps to becoming a Professional Geoscientist:

  1. Complete a University degree in geoscience, including courses required by EGBC (the SFU Physical Geography Geoscience stream fits the Canadian Council of Professional Geoscientists (CCPG) national syllabus allowing P.Geo.’s to practice throughout Canada.);
  2. Apply to EGBC to become a geoscientist-in-training;
  3. Gain four years of experience; and
  4. Pass a professional practice exam


Useful Links


Professional Agrologist

What is the Professional Agrologist qualification?

Professional Agrologists are natural resource professionals who work in an array of natural resource sectors, including the agricultural and food sector, forest sector, and environmental science sector.

Agrologists provide many different services including: extension work, consultation, education, research and administration. Many positions in government and in the consulting industry require a scientist to be registered as a Professional Agrologist (P.Ag.) in order to carry out their tasks. Professional Agrologist registration is administered by the BC Institute of Agrologists (BCIA) in BC.


How do I become registered as a Professional Agrologist?

There are four steps to becoming a Professional Agrologist:

  1. Complete a degree in agriculture or a bachelor’s degree (not in agriculture, e.g., BSc in Physical Geography) that includes the courses needed to fulfill the requirements for P.Ag. status 
  2. Apply to the BCIA to become an Articling Agrologist;
  3. Gain up to three years of experience then
  4. Prepare a written review of professional development