Support for Learning: APSA Staff
There are a number of professional development opportunities for APSA Employees at SFU.
This policy provides up to $1000 per calendar year for tuition reimbursement for job-related learning opportunities that include credit and non-credit courses, seminars, webinars, workshops and conferences. This funding does not apply to SFU’s credit courses, which are covered through the tuition waiver (policy AD 10.12). Please note that the Tuition Reimbursement Application form must be submitted to Human Resources prior to registering for learning opportunities.
Professional Development Expenses (Reimbursement)
- Policy AD10-11
- Professional Development Information Sheet
- Professional Development Expense Fillable Form
This policy supports employees to pursue professional development opportunities or purchase computer equipment that will support their learning and development. Please see the Professional development Information sheet above for details. Please note:
- Continuing employee amounts: $1,100 annually with a maximum cumulative amount of $5,500
- Temporary employee amounts: $550 annually
- Purchase must be related to professional development in order to be claimed (see the Professional Development Information sheet for details).
- To find the balance for your Professional Development allotment, visit my.sfu.ca (login, and under Staff Resources, click on Professional Development Expenses).
- Professional Development expenses maybe be submitted once per calendar year.
Tuition fees are waived for SFU credit courses for continuing APSA employees, their spouses and dependents.
Professional Development Leaves
For Continuing APSA Employees who have completed six years of service, Professional Development Leaves of up to twelve months may be granted.
International Engagement Fund for Staff-Led Initiatives
This fund encourages experiential (on the job) learning and sharing about work processes, programs and systems by staff from SFU and staff from one or more of SFU’s international institutional partners. For information, visit: https://www.sfu.ca/international/index/funding/international-engagement-fund.html