We are pleased to have a new network of vetted and credentialed coaches available to SFU leaders at a special rate. Coaches are available to work one-on-one and confidentially with leaders to advance professional goals and development and help leaders reach their potential.
All of our coaches are certified at the ACC or MCC level through the International Coaching Federation (ICF).
What is Coaching?
Coaching is a partnership between a coach and coachee involving a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires the coachee to maximize their personal and professional potential (International Coaching Federation).
Coaching works because it brings out your best. A Coach believes you can create your own best solutions and is educated and skilled to support you in that process.
Coaching is different from mentorship and advising. The Coach honors the Coachee as the expert in their life and work, and believes every Coachee is creative, resourceful and whole. A coach’s responsibility is to:
- Discover, clarify, and align with what the Coachee wants to achieve
- Encourage Coachee self-discovery
- Elicit Coachee-generated solutions and strategies
- Hold the Coachee responsible and accountable
The coaching process helps Coachees to dramatically improve their outlook on work and life, while enhancing their leadership competencies and unlocking their yet to be realized potential.
Source: International Coaching Federation
What Do Coaches Do?
- Ask questions. Coaches ask powerful questions that encourage you to think differently. By asking the right questions, you have the opportunity to find your own best answers.
- Listen deeply. You are the focus. Coaches listen to what you say, what you are trying to say, and what you are not saying.
- Provide feedback. From time-to-time we are not aware of the impact our beliefs, actions, or our words have on ourselves or others. Coaches can help you clearly appreciate your impact.
- Create accountability. Coaches believe that you are fully responsible for your own success. You are supported to discover your own solutions and to take purposeful actions toward your goals.
- Acknowledge progress. A Coach provides encouragement, compassion and acknowledgement. It takes a lot of work to achieve goals and sustain their effects for the long-term. Coaches understand that and acknowledge the effort you make, even when you might not recognize it yourself.
Source: ICF Vancouver
Who Can Benefit From Coaching?
Coaching is for anyone who has a strong desire to learn and grow. People who are keen, motivated and committed to their own personal, professional and leadership development, and who are willing to be candid and reflective are most likely to benefit from coaching.
What are Topics for Coaching?
Individuals may choose to work with a coach for many reasons, such as:
- Leading others
- Leading teams
- Adapting to new roles and responsibilities
- Identifying and removing barriers to personal/professional progress
- Addressing a dilemma or problem you’re facing
- Navigating interpersonal dynamics
- Enhancing personal motivation and accountability
You may have a specific goal or topic in mind to focus on with a coach. Or you may have a general idea, which a coach can help you to clarify and refine.
What is the Coaching Process?
- You can work with a coach for up to 6 sessions, 1 hr each, usually 2-3 weeks apart.
- Sessions are confidential and take place by phone, zoom or other video call.
- Coach and coachee will determine a meeting schedule at the onset of the coaching relationship.
Is there a cost?
There is a cost for working with a coach. We have special rates available for SFU employees and more information can be provided upon request. The fee can be paid by departments or individuals. Individuals can receive reimbursement through their Professional Development funds for those who are eligible.
How do I connect with a coach?
When you initiate the process, we will provide a list of vetted coaches. You can review this list and let us know who you wish to work with, and we’ll make the connection. If you’re unsure, we can help make recommendations.
All information you share with your coach is strictly confidential. All coaches adhere to the ICF Standards of Ethical Conduct. They respect the strictest levels of confidentiality with all client information unless release is required by law (ICF Standards of Ethical Conduct).
How do I get started?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to get started or for more information.