- Program Leads
- About us
- Get involved
Programs & events
- English Language Support Program (in-person)
- Book Buddies (in-person)
- Bridge Program (in-person)
- Canada SCORES (in-person)
- Central City Learning Garden (on-site)
- Connect Through Homework & Reading (in-person)
- Empower MEdia (in-person)
- English Conversation Groups (virtual)
- Entrepreneurship Programs
- Homework Club
- Learning Buddies (virtual & in-person)
- Let's Do Breakfast (in-person)
- Mentoring with Math (virtual & in-person)
- Our Place Summer Camp
- Pathways to Education
- Racing Readers
- Tutoring, Homework and English Support Program: United Way School’s Out (in-person)
- Migrant Worker Education Program
- Photo gallery
- Active programs
- Featured Reads
- Volunteer Info Hub
- Contact us
- Volunteer now
English Language Support Program (in-person)
Helping newcomer children practice English in a fun and creative atmosphere.
English Language Support (formerly CommuniCreate) is a free and inclusive after-school program through which children in grades 4-7 who are new to Canada from Ukraine can get involved in their communities, feel a sense of belonging and improve their English through a fun and engaging child-centered curriculum.
Each week, participants will work in small groups with a volunteer mentor from Simon Fraser University who will support them through fun activities focusing on language acquisition. Each session will be centered around a theme and set of vocabulary related to the theme. Volunteers will work with their groups to learn the new vocabulary, engage in interactive games, and practice reading and writing. Activities will be both team-based an individual, which will encourage social connection and develop interpersonal skills along with English proficiency. Over the 8 sessions, participants will improve their English language and communication skills in a safe and enjoyable environment where they will be encouraged and supported to connect with others, express their creativity, and build confidence.
This program will be delivered over three 8-week iterations, after-school from:
- May 9 - June 27, 2023 (ended)
- October 21 - December 16, 2023 (no session on Nov 11th)
- January 27 - March 16, 2024 (registration is open)
When? Sessions will run every Saturday from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm.
Where? In-person at the Surrey City Centre Library, located at 10350 University Dr, Surrey, BC V3T 4B8
Who is this program for? This program is open to children ages 9 to 12 who are new to Canada from Ukraine, displaced by the war.
How to Register:
To join our January-March iteration of this program, please click the 'Register Here' button below.
1) Registration priority is given to Surrey residents, however, children from other cities may also apply. These students will be placed on the waitlist and invited to join the program if there is space available.
2) Students who previously participated in this program can register again, however, they will be placed on the waitlist and invited to join the program if there is space available.
- Apply for current volunteer/work positions
- Join the Community Engagement Volunteer training program
- Subscribe to our email newsletter
- Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested in our programs & events?
Partner with us:
- For partnership, please contact Rachel Nelson or call 778.782.8082