- Program Leads
- About us
- Get involved
- Programs & events
- Featured Reads
- Volunteer Info Hub
- Contact us
- Volunteer now
Welcome to the Community Engagement Volunteer Training Program!
Ready to learn about volunteering with the community as an SFU ambassador?
You’ll find many diverse opportunities to make a difference in the community through the SFU Surrey–TD Community Engagement Centre. This free canvas course gives you the background you’ll need to gain valuable volunteer experience as a representative of Simon Fraser University. You’ll also find reflection activities and quizzes here to assess your learning.
Please complete all activities within each module before you move on to the next module. When you have completed all eight modules, an additional two hours with be added to your Co-Curricular Record.
After working through the course modules, you will be able to do:
- Explain community volunteerism and identify key qualities of being a volunteer in the community.
- Outline the history and identify the reasons for the university’s engagement with the community.
- Identify the benefits of community-university partnerships and explain how volunteers contribute to these relationships.
- Explain and apply safety guidelines and procedures.
- Identify your personal values and demonstrate how these manifest themselves in your actions and decisions as you follow a volunteer code of conduct.
- Describe the importance of your individual role in creating a respectful, inclusive and supportive community.
- Demonstrate effective communication techniques.
- Identify the core ethical values for volunteering in the community and apply your knowledge of these principals in practical volunteer settings.
- Apply your knowledge of expectations when you consider volunteer opportunities and make a commitment to volunteer.
- Reflect thoughtfully on your own sense of civic responsibility.
You may return to this training at any time during the year to review any of the modules.
F T I