Computing Science Major
Whether it’s BIG problems like understanding climate change and curing cancer, or the more playful problems of anticipating the next big thing in online gaming, our program is one of the largest and most diverse in Canada.
Is this program for you?
Looking for the flexibility to explore the huge breadth of the computing science field? Want to develop a wide range of skills related to computing science and the opportunity to specialize in one or two areas? The Computing Science program is tailor-made for you. You can focus or you can explore. The program is set-up to cater to either or a bit of both. We’ll work you hard, but you’ll thank us for it.
Dive deeper with Computing Science honours
If you want to take your computing science studies further and add research experience to your degree you can take additional courses to achieve an honours degree.
What you’ll learn
This four-year Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) program is taught at SFU’s Burnaby campus.
By the end of year two you will:
- have a better mathematical and logical thinking toolkit at your disposal than approximately 97% of people on the planet
- know two or more programming languages
- understand hash tables, stacks and object oriented programming
- know how computers are designed
- understand the basics of how software goes from an idea to a product
- have improved your writing, critical thinking and other skills
- have taken electives that broaden your education
- be ready to start your first co-op placement
By the end of your degree you will:
- have explored the range of concepts and topics that make up the computing science discipline
- have had the opportunity to specialize in one or more areas through our six concentrations