The Writer's Studio: Creative Writing Certificate
Every writer needs the right tools, techniques and support to develop their work. The Writer’s Studio part-time creative writing program is designed for writers who are ready to immerse themselves in a manuscript. You’ll join a supportive community as you master your craft and establish a sustainable writing practice.
Why this program?
Striking a balance between a formal, full-time MFA (master of fine arts) and individual writing courses, the Writer’s Studio offers training in the theory, craft and business of writing. As you work towards your Creative Writing Certificate from SFU, you’ll benefit from:
- One-on-one mentorship from experienced, published authors
- Small workshop groups focused on specific genres
- A high ratio of instructional hours per tuition dollar
- Support in completing your manuscript
- Practice in giving public readings
- SFU alumnus status and benefits upon program completion
Vancouver or online
To graduate, pass all courses and submit a final portfolio.
- Jan–Nov 2022 online
- Sep 2022–Jun 2023 online
- Jan–Nov 2023 online
- Mentor-led group workshops
- Courses (see list below)
- One-on-one mentor consultations
- Mentor readings and talks
- Guest author panels
- Practice in delivering public readings
Required courses (online program):
Creative Writing 1
Creative Writing 2
Chesham, A. and Farina, L. (Eds.) Resonance: Essays on the Craft and Life of Writing. Anvil Press, 2022. ISBN 978-1-77214-184-9.
Available from the publisher or your local bookstore.
$75 program application fee
- Writing Mom Scholarship: $1,000
Open to mothers with children under 18 (scholarship is trans-inclusive)
- Emerging Writer Scholarship: $1,000
Open to all applicants
To be considered, add a second page to your program application letter that explains how the scholarship would help you.
Want to get published?
Upcoming events and workshops
Vancouver author Tanya Boteju is living the dream. Just months after completing the Writer’s Studio Online program in 2018, a major publisher snapped up her debut young adult novel.
The Writer's Studio gave Carys Cragg the guidance and support needed to tell her story. After completing the program, she joined the graduate workshop to complete her memoir.