Updating and Redesigning BUS 237 - Introduction to Business Technology Management
Grant program: Teaching and Learning Development Grant (TLDG)
Grant recipient: Aishwarya Shukla, Beedie School of Business
Project team: JM Goh, Beedie School of Business, and research assistant TBD
Timeframe: July 2019 to March 2020
Course addressed: BUS 237 – Introduction to Business Technology Management
Description: Our main motivation to pursue this grant is to update and redesign the BUS 237. We would do this in three stages. First, we will gather requirements relevant to our course redesign. In the second stage, we update/redesign the course materials to reflect the requirements gathered in step 1. Finally, we run a pilot version of the redesigned course by implementing the redesigned materials from and evaluate what went well, and what did not.
- What technologies are other business schools in North America using introductory MIS courses?
- What will be relevant for us to integrate into BUS 237?
- What kind of knowledge, skills, and support materials do teaching assistants think they need?
- What is the student’s perception of learning regarding the newly implemented technology?
- What are the student’s thoughts of the updated syllabus?
- Are the new materials provided to the teaching assistants effective in improving their ability to teach labs?
- Do they have suggestions for any new materials?
Knowledge sharing: We are already sharing our findings by interacting with others in the MIS department who are contributing their expertise and advice in the redesign of BUS 237 and will update them along the process.
Various departments such as the Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science or Department of Mathematics may find some elements of the proposed redesign to be useful to enhance the learning of students in terms of the applications we are choosing to implement (e.g. Tableau). The project also conforms with Beedie’s academic plan as there is a goal to align the curriculum with the faculty’s mission of experiential learning and engaging the students.
View JM Goh's ISTLD-funded projects:
Updating and Redesigning BUS 237 - Introduction to Business Technology Management (G0321) - with Aishwarya Shukla