Closed - ISTLD is looking for two RAs! Come work with us!
Research Assistant – Two Positions are Available
Institute for the Study of Teaching + Learning In The Disciplines (ISTLD), Simon Fraser University
The ISTLD invites applications for two Research Assistant appointments to begin September 3, 2018. Ideally we are looking for two PhD students in the first or second year of their program; however, all qualified applicants will be considered.
The primary purpose of the ISTLD (http://www.sfu.ca/istld) is to inspire, support, and enhance faculty-led inquiry into all aspects of teaching and learning at SFU. By “faculty-led inquiry” we mean that which is initiated by faculty members and related to ideas or questions about teaching and learning in a specific course, more than one course, at the program level or across programs.
Research assistant responsibilities may include:
- Working on ISTLD-based research and evaluation activities (e.g. analyze and summarize evaluation information related to ISTLD mandate, such as survey, project, and interview data);
- Providing research support to faculty members engaged in investigating teaching and learning, (e.g., consultation on research designs (qualitative and quantitative), relevant literature review, project linking, and data collection and analyses);
- Supporting dissemination of project findings within and beyond SFU;
- Undertaking literature reviews related to ISTLD publications;
- Assisting with data entry and evaluation related to TLDG projects’ progress/tracking;
- Attending regular ISTLD team meetings.
Required qualifications and skills:
- Currently enrolled in a graduate program at SFU;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including strong oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work with faculty and graduate students from a wide range of disciplines;
- Experience with basic qualitative and quantitative data analyses;
- Ability to undertake literature reviews in disciplines beyond own research area;
- Skilled in use of Microsoft Office suite.
Experience and skills that would be an asset:
- Familiarity with reference management software (e.g. Zotero), database management (e.g. Filemaker), and NVIVO;
- Experience with instrument design (especially surveys, rubrics, interview protocols, observation protocols/checklists, self-reflection tools);
- Experience with qualitative data coding;
- Experience with Teaching and Learning research.
Time commitment: 5 - 10 hours/week, September 2018 to December 2018 with the possibility of extension to March 31, 2019 based on funding and job performance.
Salary: $20.00 - $25.00/hour (includes 4% vacation + statutory holiday pay), dependent upon experience and qualifications.
To Apply: Applicants should submit: (1) a 1-page cover letter structured to address the qualifications, skills, and role responsibilities as listed above, and (2) a 1-2 page resumé. These two items should be organized as one PDF attachment and addressed to Dr. Sheri Fabian, and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: References will only be requested from short-listed applicants.
Application deadline – August 23, 2018
We appreciate all replies to this position posting, however, we will only contact short-listed applicants.