On this page:
In general, Research Services needs the following documents for account set up:
- SFU Signature Sheet - Note: you do not need to resend if you provided one at the application stage.
- Copy of research application - Note: you do not need to resend if you provided one at the application stage.
- Notice of Award Letter - Please send this letter to Research Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) if it was directly sent to you.
- Certificates - if your research involves human participants, animals, and bio-hazards
- Conflict of interest declaration and management plan - if applicable
Other documents may be required based on the nature of your research grant.
After a Notice of Award is received, a research agreement is signed, and necessary all certificates are received, the next step is to set up a project account for the Principal Investigator (PI).
- Research Services sends action item of approved award to Research Accounting and notifies the PI.
- Research Accounting creates a new fund profile and confirms fund number with the PI. After this, Research Accounting sets up budget (year-by-year) and receivables according to the approved granting period, and emails Project Account Memo, Research Project Notification Sheet, and Signing Authority Form to the PI, department manager, and Finance.
- The PI reviews the Project Account Memo as it contains important instructions/information (i.e., use of funds, account code, access FAST, etc.). The Signing Authority Form should also be signed by the PI and returned to Research Accounting.
- After the account is set up, Finance will be responsible for handling file going forward.
- Research Services is not aware that the grant has been awarded. Notice of Award was not received by Research Services.
- When sponsors do not specify what the Fund Request or cheque was intended for, it may take time to reach Research Services at SFU.
- Funds are not received from sponsors on time.
- Research Services does not have an SFU Signature Sheet, final copy of the application, or supporting documentation.
- Negotiation of grant agreement: negotiation/clarification of terms unacceptable for SFU, terms and conditions that seem unreasonable or risky, or conflicting SFU/sponsor policies
- Due diligence identifies potential financial risks with the sponsor or the terms of the contract.
- Delays in departmental signoff of Contract Approval Memo or Nonpayment Guarantee. Please check the Contracts and Agreements for details.
- Research compliance certificates missing
- Other conditions required by sponsor, such as receipt of matching contribution