- Current Students
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- Prospective Students
- News and Events
- Contact Us
The Summer 2023 USRA competition information is listed below. Please note that, due to COVID-19 and remote working, applications will need to be submitted by email to the Graduate Program Assistant (with any "printed" materials included as pdf attachments).
The Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) programs expose upper-division undergraduates to research, with the goal of encouraging upper-division students to pursue graduate studies leading to research careers. Students must be available to work full-time during the 16-week tenure of the award, from May-August, inclusive. Previous students have been able to link their USRA to a co-op work term; please contact the Science Co-op office for more information on this possibility. If you are assigned to a project and would like to link the USRA to a co-op, please check first with your supervisor. Students requiring further feedback on or assistance with the co-op report or paperwork should consult the co-op office.
Science students have access to two programs, the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) USRA program and the SFU Vice President, Research (VPR) USRA program. NSERC USRAs are restricted to Canadian citizens and permanent residents; VPR USRAs are open to international students. Canadian citizens and permanent residents should apply to the NSERC program only. For more information, please see the SFU Dean of Graduate Studies USRA website.
Note: We thank all applicants for their interest but request that they refrain from contacting prospective supervisors. Supervisors will contact applicants selected for an interview.
Canadian citizens and permanent residents should apply for the NSERC USRA only; please do not apply for the VPR USRA. If you are eligible for the NSERC USRA:
- Go to the NSERC website
- Please submit the following: the printed NSERC Form 202 (Part I) with your NSERC Online Reference #; an up-to-date, unofficial transcript (not an advising transcript); and, optionally, a short statement (<200 words) about yourself and your interest in the USRA program. These must be submitted electronically to the Graduate Program Assistant email@example.com in the Department of Statstics & Actuarial Science by January 31, 2023.
- Selected students will be notified by the department. These students must verify their applications online by January 31, 2023. Note that this verification includes uploading transcripts.
If you are eligible only for the VPR USRA:
- Go to https://www.sfu.ca/gradstudies/awards-funding/ugrad-research-awards/deadlines-application-procedures.html and complete the student portion of the application form. In the section on Award Information, filling in the proposed supervisor is optional.
- Once you have completed the student portion, print it and attach an up-to-date, unofficial transcript (not an advising transcript) and, optionally, a short statement (<200 words) about yourself and your interest in the USRA program. These must be submitted electronically to the Graduate Program Assistant firstname.lastname@example.org in the Department of Statstics & Actuarial Science by January 31, 2023.
- Selected students will be notified by the project Supervisors.
- Supervisors will fill out the "Supervisor Information" and "Research Project" sections of the form.
Summer 2023 (Semester 1234)
|Project Title/Description||Supervisor||Student||Semester||Award Type|
|Improving the statistical genetics of polygenic risk score calculation
|Four-dimensional summary statistics for brain imaging genetics
|Tweedie multivariate credibility premium with semi-parametric random effects
|Statistical models for Social Hierarchy in Animals
|Bayesian Statistical Methodology for Astronomy
|Exploring data collected by On-Line Survey
|Statistical Models for Downstream Tasks using Pretrained Language Models
|Develop a Website for Online Statistical Learning
Find information about past USRA projects here.