Please note that the co-op and the Exec MBA program mentioned in this video are not available for our exchange/study abroad students.
Simon Fraser University is an ideal destination for exchange and study abroad students. Our location in metro Vancouver offers the advantages of a large cosmopolitan city on the beautiful west coast of Canada, and our academic programs offer a wide choice across many disciplines in eight faculties.
Note: Spring 2021 Exchange - Initial Considerations
If you are considering applying for a Spring 2021 exchange, please be aware of the following initial considerations, which we will continue to communicate to applicants (considerations on arrival self-isolation requirements, medical insurance, etc, will be communicated in future as/if applicable):
- Students should not purchase any flights or make non-refundable arrangements for their exchange.
- A decision has not yet been made on whether or not in-person exchanges to SFU will proceed for Spring 2021.
- There may be a higher degree of uncertainty regarding access to courses and to accommodation at SFU.
- Canada currently has travel restrictions in place. In their current form, these restrictions would prevent most exchange students from entering Canada. These restrictions may be extended, and we do not know when they may change. Additionally, we are aware that students may have difficulty obtaining immigration documents, if needed, due to Visa Application Centre closures and difficulty obtaining necessary documents due to pandemic closures.
- For information on coronavirus in BC/Canada and the measures currently in place to limit the spread see the following:
Canada: Public Health Agency of Canada
British Columbia: British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
Simon Fraser University: SFU COVID-19 Impact Scale and SFU Community Frequently Asked Questions About COVID-19 and Student Support and Resources
Eligibility and Application Process
Is your university partnered with SFU?
In order to attend SFU as an exchange or study abroad student, your home university must have a current Formal Exchange/Study Abroad Agreement with Simon Fraser University.
If we have a formal agreement with your home university, then check out the application process.
Most students have the majority of their courses at the main Burnaby campus however, individual courses may be offered at Vancouver and/or Surrey. You can easily commute by public transit between each of the campuses using your UPass (transit pass issued by SFU), but we recommend allowing one hour in transit between classes at different campuses. SFU Residence is located on the Burnaby campus.
Perched atop Burnaby Mountain, Simon Fraser University's original Arthur Erickson-designed campus now includes more than three dozen academic buildings and is flanked by UniverCity, a flourishing sustainable residential community.
Described by local media as the "intellectual heart of the city", SFU's Vancouver Campus transformed the landscape of urban education in downtown Vancouver. The campus is comprised of multiple facilities clustered in the core of Vancouver. The School for the Contemporary Arts is located in Vancouver.
A vibrant community hub located in the heart of one of Canada's fastest-growing cities. The School of Interactive Arts and Technology is located at the Surrey Campus.
SFU Academic Terms
Simon Fraser University operates on a trimester system. Each academic term is 15 weeks in length, including the final exam period.
Although the calendar year is divided into three terms, two terms are equivalent to one full academic year. Exchange/Study Abroad students may attend SFU for one or two of the following:
- Fall term (early September – mid December)
- Spring term (early January – mid April)
- Summer term (early May - mid August)