Immigration Documents: After you Arrive

In this section, you'll find information on the process for extending your study permit and passport, as well as applying for a temporary resident visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) if you plan to travel outside of Canada.

If your study permit was issued for less than the amount of time you will take to complete your exchange/study abroad, you must extend it before it expires.  It is your responsibility to ensure that your documents (study permit and passport) remain valid during your studies in Canada, so make sure to keep track of all expiry dates to maintain your immigration status.

Thinking of travelling to the United States?
Do your research and understand what immigration documents you may need by visiting the United States Department of State website.  You may also refer to our instruction guides website for a general U.S. Visa information sheet.