On January 22, 2024, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (IRCC) announced a number of updates and measures to the International Student Program. The complete details can be found on the IRCC website or on our News & Updates page.

Apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a number that the Canadian government requires for taxation purposes and without one, you can not get paid. A SIN is required only if you earn income in Canada, on or off campus.  This number enables your employer to make the necessary government deductions.

You must provide your SIN to your employer within three days of starting work.

You can apply for a SIN online or by mail. If you are unable to apply online or by mail, you also have the option to apply in person. For details of how to apply, review the "Social Insurance Number" handout.

If you are not eligible for a SIN but you wish to file taxes in Canada, you may instead apply for an Individual Tax Number (ITN). Visit the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website for instructions on how to apply for an ITN.

Once you have received your SIN or ITN, you should update your student information in goSFU. Canadian tax regulations require SFU to collect the SIN or ITN of all students who pay tuition. Click here for instructions.

Important: Your SIN will expire at the same time as your immigration document. When you renew your study or work permit, remember to renew your SIN if eligible.

Note: A valid SIN alone does not automatically make you eligible to work on or off campus. You must still meet the eligibility requirements as per our Working On or Off Campus handout (including a work permit if applicable) in order to legally work, even if you already have a valid SIN.