Are you a new transfer student and currently outside Canada? Follow these important steps before you travel.

June 18, 2021

IRCC recently issued updated instructions for students who change schools after applying for a study permit. Based on these new guidelines, some students who are outside Canada will need to submit a new study permit application before they can travel.

If you have applied for a study permit from outside Canada using a letter of acceptance or enrollment from your previous institution (for example, FIC or another post-secondary institution in Canada) and

  • your application has not been approved yet: 

Please submit your SFU letter of acceptance (as well as your Confirmation of Enrollment letter if you have enrolled in classes) to IRCC via the web form as soon as possible, and request that your application be updated with this information. As long as your current study permit application is updated before IRCC approves it, you will not need to re-apply.

If you did not provide a letter of acceptance or enrollment from SFU with your application, as per the updated guidelines provided by IRCC, you will need to submit a new study permit application with these items and wait for final approval and a new letter of introduction before you can travel to Canada.

  • you are holding a valid study permit that was issued to you on a previous entry to Canada, AND you will return to Canada before it expires:

As a study permit holder you must notify IRCC of the change to your school by completing the online designated learning institution (DLI) transfer process before you travel. In this case a new study permit application is not required.

If you need to extend your study permit after returning to Canada, please see Extend Your Study Permit for instructions.

For more information on changing schools as an international student, visit the following IRCC website:

If you have any questions about the above, please contact an International Student Advisor, Immigration Specialist