i This website contains general information and resources related to policies, procedures, and application processes for international students.

For the latest updates and specific information on COVID-19 including impacts on immigration applications (e.g. study permits, work permits, visas), travel restrictions, work eligibility, and medical insurance, please refer to our FAQ page:

COVID-19 FAQ for International Students

Your study permit must remain valid for the duration of your studies in Canada. To extend your study permit, we recommend that you apply 90 days in advance of expiration.

Processing times vary - visit the IRCC website for current information. Long delays are common, so apply 90 days in advance if possible. However, as long as IRCC receives your extension application before the expiration date of your current study permit, you will have maintained status (formerly known as implied status) to remain in Canada and continue studying (and working, if meeting the eligibility requirements) while you await processing, even if your study permit expires while you wait. For more information about maintained status, visit the IRCC website.

If you plan to travel abroad during a period when your study permit is about to expire, renew your study permit from WITHIN Canada before you leave.

You may apply online to extend your study permit and/or your dependant family members’ immigration documents together. If your passport is expiring, you must renew it before you apply to extend your study permit. See Renew your passport for details.


Note: Your study permit will expire on the earlier of the following dates: the expiry date printed on your study permit or 90 days after you complete your studies.

You can find more information on how to apply to extend your study permit by reading the handout on our Instruction Guides page, or by visiting the IRCC website.

Expired study permits and restoration of status

If your study permit has already expired and you did not apply to extend it before the expiry date, you must apply to restore your status in Canada. For more information about restoration, visit the IRCC website.

Your restoration application must be submitted within 90 days after your study permit expired or became invalid.

To apply for restoration, you must:

  • apply online using all forms and documents required for a study permit extension (refer to the guides on our Resources page for details),
  • pay an additional restoration fee of $200 with your online application, in addition to the fee for a study permit extension and biometrics fee if applicable, and 
  • include an explanation of the circumstances surrounding why you did not apply for an extension before your status expired

You can remain in Canada while you await processing of your restoration application but you are not allowed to study or work until the application is approved