- News & Updates
- People Of SFU: Meet the Food Superstars Who Helped Bring The New Dining Commons To Life
- Burnaby Mountain Comes Together To Celebrate StreetFest! 2022
- Embedding Sustainability In New SFU Letters
- The SFU Living Labs Program Connects Research With Campus Services and Sustainability
- SFU Welcomes Back Graduates This Summer With Most Ceremonies Ever Hosted
- Fair Trade Ambassador Daphne Chan Wins 2022 NACAS Student Author Contest
- Mugshare Launches at Renaissance Café
- Smart Vending Arrives at SFU
- Student Nathan 'Cain' Lee Aims To Rank Up To The World of Professional eSports
- Shannon De Groot Joins SFU As New Director of MECS
- SFU community rallies to support B.C. flood relief response
- The Study Public House Temporary Closure
- Document Solutions Surrey Service Updates
- Students and Staff Collaborate to Ensure Water Access On Campuses
- Fair Trade Ambassador Nell Jedrzejczyk Wins NACAS Student Author Contest
- The Community Vibrancy Initiative is bringing 'good vibes' to Burnaby Campus
- Stay Dry With Umbracity At SFU
- Document Solutions Campus Operations Updates
- The Bookstore & Spirit Shop Welcomes You
- Return To Campus Student Webinars with TransLink
- SFU StreetFest! Virtual draws more than 2,000 global visitors
- Co-op opportunities still provide work-integrated learning and experience during pandemic
- Feed BC: Building opportunities for B.C. food with post-secondary partners
- SFU Bookstore and Spirit Shop innovate to prioritize student choice
- Join in as we phase out single-use plastic water bottles
- Summer Term Parking Info
- Re-use For Good
- Community Vibrancy
- Fair Trade
- Contact Us
Fair Trade Work-Study Opportunity
Fair Trade Research and Community Engagement: Work-Study Opportunity
Summer 2017 (May 9th – August 31st)
As a Fair Trade Campus, SFU is challenging international trade status quo that is increasingly leaving millions of workers and farmers below the poverty line and struggling to provide for themselves, their families and their communities.
Are you passionate about trade justice and global economic development? Awesome, so are we! You may be eligible to participate in a fair trade work-study opportunity this summer!
Project Purpose: Develop, maintain and support the expansion of the fair trade movement on campus, and within the UniverCity and Burnaby communities.
Qualifications: Event planning skills. Time management. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Knowledge and application of basic qualitative and quantitative research. Comfortable interacting with students, faculty and staff. Knowledge of online survey tools. Social media skills.
1. Research and survey students, faculty and administration to access knowledge and attitudes towards fair trade. Research methods/strategies for volunteer retention and student engagement. Collect fair trade purchasing data on campus to access impact of SFU's purchasing. Access the amount of non-fair trade products on campus and within the UniverCity community. Summarize research results and make recommendations.
2. Develop social media strategy based on research and campus stakeholder consultation.
3. Consult with other campuses in the Vancouver area to coordinate a fair trade challenge during Fair Trade Campus Week.
4. Develop fair trade outreach and education PowerPoint presentations.
5. Develop a "SFU Fair Trade Newsletter" template and structure.
6. Research high school and elementary schools in the Burnaby area and develop youth engagement plan for fair trade engagement.
7. Research relevant funding opportunities for international student travel and develop a "Fair Trade Origin Trip" student application process.
Number of students requested: 2
Deadline: April 10th (flexible)
1. Apply online by logging in to the Student Information System (go.sfu.ca).
2. Click on "Apply for Bursaries/Work-Study".
3. Complete and submit your application.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.