- News & Events
- Student Life
- DELF-DALF Exams
- Programs in French
- Undergraduate Studies
- Graduate Studies
- Teacher Education
- For Inservice Teachers
Bursary for Post-secondary Education in French
We are pleased to announce that for the period of 2021-2022, the B.C. Ministry of Education has mandated Simon Fraser University's (SFU) Office of Francophone and Francophile Affairs (OFFA) to manage the “Bursary for Post-secondary Education in French.”
Description of the Bursary
- This bursary is intended for students undertaking full-time studies at Simon Fraser University (SFU) in a program taught primarily in French.
- The bursary is applicable only to cover tuition fees and not applicable to student service fees.
- The following programs are eligible:
- Bachelor’s degrees
- Master’s degrees
- Doctoral degrees
- This bursary is not intended for students completing the Professional Development Program (French module) or courses or programs for in-service teachers. Please refer to the “Bursary for Pre-service Teachers” or “Teachers – University Courses in French”.
- The bursary is up to $625 per term, to a maximum of $1,250 per year, and is capped at $5,000 per student
- This bursary may be combined with other sources of funding (except for a tuition waiver of 100%)
- The bursary is a taxable benefit (T4A forms will be available for download in goSFU).
- Must be a Canadian citizen or have permanent residency
- Have resided in British Columbia for 12 consecutive months prior to the start of studies
- Be enrolled as a full-time student:
- Undergraduate: a minimum of 3 courses per term (9 units)
- Graduate: be enrolled in a full-time graduate studies program
- Must not receive a tuition waiver covering 100% of tuition fees
- Courses must be offered at SFU or as part of a formal exchange program where tuition fees are paid to SFU and not the host institution
- The courses must be taught primarily in French:
- At least 55% of the courses in which the student is enrolled for the term in question must be taught in French
- The term must be completed. If for any reason, the student withdraws during the term, SFU reserves the right to demand reimbursement of the amounts paid.
- Complete the online bursary form during the application period
- Complete an application for each term (Fall AND Spring terms only)
Bursary Application Period
|Fall 2021||September 20-29, 2021
|Spring 2022||January 17-26, 2022*
The fall 2021 application period is now closed.
The spring term application will open in January 2022.
- Bursaries will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis until all funds are allocated
- Applicants will be notified via email if they have been awarded the bursary or not depending on the funds available
- Payments will be made directly to SFU student accounts according to the following schedule:
|Fall 2021||To be determined
|Spring 2022||early March 2022*|
For more information about the bursary, please contact us: email@example.com.
This bursary is made possible with the participation of the Government of Canada and the Ministry of Education of British Columbia.