- News & Events
- Student Life
- DELF-DALF Exams
- Programs in French
- Undergraduate Studies
- Graduate Studies
- Teacher Education
- For Inservice Teachers
Bursary for Post-secondary Education in French
For the 2023-2024 academic year, the "Bursary for Post-secondary Education in French", offered by the Ministry of Education and Child Care of British Columbia, will be managed by OFFA.
Description of the Bursary
- This bursary is intended for students undertaking full-time studies at Simon Fraser University (SFU) in a program taught primarily in French.
- The bursary is applicable only to cover tuition fees and not applicable to student service fees.
- The following programs are eligible:
- Bachelor’s degrees
- Master’s degrees
- Doctoral degrees
- This bursary is not intended for students completing the Professional Development Program (French module) or courses or programs for in-service teachers. Please refer to the “Bursary for Pre-service Teachers” or “Teachers – University Courses in French”.
- The bursary is up to $625 per term, to a maximum of $1,250 per year, and is capped at $5,000 per student
- This bursary may be combined with other sources of funding (except for a tuition waiver of 100%)
- The bursary is a taxable benefit (T4A forms will be available for download in goSFU).
- Must be a Canadian citizen or have permanent residency
- Have resided in British Columbia for 12 consecutive months prior to the start of studies
- Be enrolled as a full-time student:
- Undergraduate: a minimum of 3 courses per term (9 units)
- Graduate: be enrolled in a full-time graduate studies program
- Must not receive a tuition waiver covering 100% of tuition fees
- Courses must be offered at SFU or as part of a formal exchange program where tuition fees are paid to SFU and not the host institution
- The courses must be taught primarily in French:
- At least 55% of the courses in which the student is enrolled for the term in question must be taught in French
- The term must be completed. If for any reason, the student withdraws during the term, SFU reserves the right to demand reimbursement of the amounts paid.
Applications - 2023-2024
- Complete the online bursary form during the application period
- Complete an application for each term (Fall AND Spring terms only)
- Funds are limited
Bursary Application Period
|Fall 2023||September 18-29, 2023
|Spring 2024||January 15-26, 2024
- Bursaries will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis until all funds are allocated
- Applicants will be notified via email if they have been awarded the bursary or not depending on the funds available
Payments will be made directly to SFU student accounts according to the following schedule:
|Fall 2023||December 2023*
|Spring 2024||Mid-March 2024*|
Fall term applications are now closed.
For more information about the bursary, please contact us: email@example.com.
This bursary is made possible with the participation of the Government of Canada and the Ministry of Education and Child Care of British Columbia.