- News & Events
- Student Life
- DELF-DALF Exams
- Programs in French
- Undergraduate Studies
- Graduate Studies
- Teacher Education
- For Inservice Teachers
MA THÈSE EN 180 SECONDES : WESTERN FINAL
Are you a master's or doctoral student? The Ma thèse en 180 secondes (MT180) competition is a unique opportunity to perfect your communication skills while giving you the chance to share your research in the public space!
After the success of the last editions, the Office of Francophone and Francophile Affairs at Simon Fraser University, Acfas-Alberta, the University of Victoria and the Centre de la Francophonie of the University of British Columbia are once again organizing a final of the My Thesis in 180 Seconds (MT180) competition. This competition is the French-language equivalent of 3-Minute Thesis (3MT) which has been held for several years in some universities in the province.
As part of the contest, each student must give a clear, concise, and convincing presentation of their research project in French, in three minutes, before a jury. MT180 is the French equivalent of the 3-Minute Thesis (3MT) which has been held for several years in Canadian universities and around the world. This final will take place on March 28, 2024 and will be presented live on Zoom! Each candidate will be invited to present their research in 3 minutes live in front of their friends, family, the French-speaking community of Western Canada and a jury.
By registering, you will be supported in the preparation of your presentation at an Acfas training session. To be eligible for the finals, you must be a master's or doctoral student in a Canadian university, who can present in French. Several prizes will be awarded to the winners of each category, and to the public's favourite. Don't miss out on this unique opportunity to showcase your research across the country in a multidisciplinary context!
- Expand your network in the research community;
- Share your research with the scientific community and a broad public;
- Disseminate your research within the community;
- Develop your communication skills;
- To have first experiences of interviews in the media;
- Have the chance to receive a grant;
- Clarify your ideas for your thesis;
- Develop your skills for your thesis defence or oral presentations.
PRIZES TO WIN (Bursaries)
Scholarships will be awarded to winners at the master's level, doctoral level and to the public's favourite. In addition, one doctoral student per university will be able to participate in the French-Canadian final of the competition, and will receive free access to the Acfas Congress, which is the largest multidisciplinary scientific congress in the Francophonie, with more than 5,000 participants each year in about thirty research fields.
- October 18, 2023: Info session (register here)
- January 15, 2024: Deadline to register
- March 28, 2024: Western final of the "Ma Thèse en 180 secondes" competition (online)
- May 15, 2024: National Final of Ma Thèse en 180 secondes, which will take place during the 90th Congress of Acfas in Montreal.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE IN THE COMPETITION?
To be eligible, you must be enrolled in a master's or doctoral program at a university in Alberta or British Columbia (all universities are eligible). Whether french is your mother tongue, your second language or even your fifth spoken language, we will welcome your application! You just need to master french to be able to participate. And of course, you can participate even if you study in English, as long as you make your presentation in french during the competition!
For more information, please contact:
Coordinator - Events & Communications
Office of Francophone and Francophile Affairs
Contact person per university
- For participants from Alberta:
Charlotte Bourbon (email@example.com)
- For participants from the University of British Columbia:
Patrick Moran (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- For participants from Simon Fraser University :
Laurence Gagnon (email@example.com)
- For participants from the University of Victoria :
Pierre-Luc Landry (firstname.lastname@example.org)
«Ma thèse en 180 secondes»'s Western Final is made possible thanks to a financial support from: