- Contact us
- Chancellor's Office
- Pipe Band
- Events Network
Chancellor's Distinguished Service Award
Annually in the fall, the chancellor presents the Distinguished Service Award to an individual or organization to recognize their outstanding commitment and service to the university.
Terms of Reference
To recognize and celebrate individuals and organizations for their outstanding commitment and service to the Simon Fraser University (SFU). Award recipients share SFU’s commitment to reconciliation, education, learning and growth—and creating an equitable, diverse and inclusive society for all.
- Priority will be given to recognizing individuals, but organizations may be honoured when they act as a corporate citizen.
- Intent of this award is to recognize those who have given exceptional service to SFU. Typically, recipients are community members who are not currently SFU faculty, staff or students (but these internals may be considered under special circumstances).
- Posthumous awards will not be granted.
- Serving Canadian politicians will not normally be considered.
- Past recipients of the Chancellor’s Distinguished Service Award will not normally be considered.
- The service has a significant and positive impact on SFU and its communities;
- the person/organization demonstrate(s) meaningful, deep commitment to their area of work and the university;
- sustained or innovative leadership in working with internal and/or external stakeholders and partners in advancing the university’s vision, mission and/or core values;
- sufficient information is provided in the nomination to understand the nominee’s contributions and impact; and,
- nominations may be made for people at any stage of their career progression.
- Nominations will be sought by the chancellor in the spring. All SFU faculty, staff, students and community may nominate candidates for this award.
- The Chancellor’s Distinguished Service Award Selection Committee (CDSASC) will review all nominations in the summer.
- Once a recipient has been selected and the recipient has agreed to accept the award, the nominator will be informed.
- The recipient(s) will be awarded in the fall.
- Nominations will be sought in spring and are accepted annually.
- The deadline for nominations will be announced each year with the call for nominations.
- Nomination packages must be complete, and submitted in writing by the noted deadline, to be considered.
All nominations received will be kept confidential by the Chancellor’s Distinguished Service Award Selection Committee. Nominators are requested not to discuss nominations with the nominee. Nominators will be informed when a recipient has been approved by the committee and the recipient has agreed to accept the award.
Due to the need for strict confidentiality, nominators should not seek letters of support or reference.
The Chancellor’s Distinguished Service Award will be presented to the recipient(s) in the fall.
Chancellor's Distinguished Service Award Selection Committee (CDSASC)
The committee will be comprised of:
- Vice-President, Advancement & Alumni Engagement
- Vice-President, External Relations
- Director, Ceremonies & Events