- Contact us
- Chancellor's Office
- Pipe Band
- Events Network
Long-term EDI sustainability and maintenance
Consider the following suggestions as you think ahead to produce equitable, diverse and inclusive events. Please note that this list is not exhaustive and will evolve as we continue to learn. It is not required that you adopt each recommendation, however, use this checklist as a tool to help you move further toward Equity, Diversity and Inclusion at SFU.
Items with (V) are considerations for, but not limited to, virtual events.
- Consider partnering and building meaningful and ongoing relationships with diverse communities who can speak to the needs and interests of the various EDI groups, and co-plan events.
- Provide team members with ongoing EDI training.
- Continue asking questions about how events can be more accessible and inclusive for all.
- Be curious and willing to learn and grow.
- The team brainstorms and collaborates to own, acknowledge, and fix mistakes.
- Use a standard resource page for compensation methods (e.g., acceptable methods of payment within SFU policies, honoraria guidelines, etc.).
- SFU policies/procedures should be more accessible (e.g., individuals not required to provide so much personal information to receive honoraria).
- Research and use event platforms that are accessible in many places around the world. (V)
- Use tools to determine best event date and time for audience (e.g., consider time zones for international invitees). (V)
Share your EDI planning experience
- If you have successfully implemented any ideas not included here, please let us know and we can add your ideas.
- If you would like to present on your EDI event experience at an OPEN meeting, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
F T I