AEP Readings and Helpful Links
For the AEP assignment, if you have not found an appropriate workshop to attend, find here some possible readings and activities that you can read/watch/work on (to later report as described in your assignment). You can also choose a relevant reading no included below; in that case please contact the AEP program coordinator, Diana Cukierman firstname.lastname@example.org, to have it pre-approved.
- Success startegies for online courses, SLC (Student Learnign Commons)
- SLC workshops, webinar recordings
- SLC Video collection
- Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years, or "why a semester doesn't teach you everything, by Peter Norvig."
- Engines for Education , by Schank et. al.
- Thoughts on Problem Solving
- Online workshop series from the Student Academic Center at Indiana University - Bloomington: http://sacblog.indiana.edu/
- "Learnign about learning" - Coursera course
- Wellness Wheel
- Compulsive video gaming
- Internet Use: Caught up in the Web
- 5 Ways To Successfully Ditch The Digital Distractions
- Students’ use of laptops in class lowers grades: Canadian study
- Randy Pausch Lecture: Achieving your dreams (Time Management)
- Is social media hurting your mental health?
- How social media is rewiring our brains
- What happened when I made my students turn off their phones
- He played for 72 hours straight: South Korea wrestles with video game addiction
- Why Six Hours Of Sleep Is As Bad As None At All
- How to stop procrastinating
Handouts from the SFU Student Learning Commons and other material
- Concentration (pdf)
- ExamAnxiety (pdf)
- ExamPreparation (pdf)
- NoteTaking (pdf)
- Motivation (pdf)
- TimeManagement (pdf)
- ProblemSolving (pdf)
- Procrastination (pdf)
- Reading for University (pdf)
- Academic Success Kits (A.S.K.’s) include the Student Learning Commons' most popular study and writing strategies and resources, available in bite-sized portions you can easily access in Canvas. You can self-enroll at this link: https://canvas.sfu.ca/enroll/NXP9X4
Oher useful links
- SFU Library, Computing Science Resources Page, e.g.: 'Computing for Ordinary Mortals' St. Amant (2013). Call Number: QA 76 S7375 2013 http://newitems.lib.sfu.ca/Record/.b61681696/TOC
- Computing Science Background Information Resources (Dictionaries, Encyclopedias, Handbooks, and Manuals): http://www.lib.sfu.ca/help/subject-guides/computing-science/background-info
-Khan Academy Online Videos: https://www.khanacademy.org/cs/tutorials/programming-basics
-Massachusetts Institute of Technology OpenCourseWare (Recorded Lectures, Sample Exercises/Exams, and more) : http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-033-computer-system-engineering-spring-2009/
-The SFU Student Learnign Commons (SLC): All SFU students are welcome to visit the Student Learning Commons for free and friendly consultations, workshops, and resources on academic writing, study skills, quantitative learning strategies, and English language speaking and listening: learningcommons.sfu.ca
You may also want to visit the Health and Counselling Services for additional resources.
Adapting to Covid 19 - BC Campus resources
Back to Information for Students.