Public Companies: Financing, Governance and Compliance
Supported by the Toronto Stock Exchange, the TSX Venture Exchange, and the BC Securities Commission, this course will give you the information you need to comply with Canada’s complex system of securities regulation. Topics include fundamentals of corporate governance, securities law, shareholder communications and investor relations, financial statement requirements, obligations for company insiders, understanding TSX/TSX Venture Exchange requirements, and directors’ powers, functions, and liabilities.
Duration: 2 days
What you will learn
After completing this course, you’ll be able to do the following:
- Fundamentals of corporate governance
- Directors' powers, functions and liabilities
- Overview of securities law
- Effective shareholder communications and investor relations
- Financial statement requirements
- Obligations for company insiders
- Toronto Stock Exchange/TSX Venture Exchange requirements
- Acquisitions, financing and stock options
Instructors and guest speakers include prominent members of the legal, accounting and business communities, as well as staff from the BC Securities Commission and the TSX Venture Exchange:
- Alan Bayless
- Allan Lim
- Andrew Creech
- Arne Gulstene
- Charlotte Bell
- David Macdonald
- David Miller
- David Toyoda
- Gary Floyd
- Gordon Smith
- Jody-Ann Edman
- Kathy Tang
- Linda Hogg
- Mani Sanghera
- Steve Saville
How you will learn and be evaluated
- Discussion and participation (enrolment is limited)
Who should take this course?
- Directors, officers, and senior managers of public companies
- Investor relations professionals
- Management consultants
- Lawyers, accountants and other professionals
Additional course materials will be made available on Canvas, SFU’s online learning system. For more information and online support, visit Online Learning.
Professional development credits
This course is supported by the Toronto Stock Exchange, the TSX Venture Exchange and the BC Securities Commission.
The Law Society of British Columbia has approved this course for its members' professional development.