Why Study Criminology?


Criminology is the interdisciplinary study of crime as both an individual and social phenomenon, with research on the origins and forms of crime, its causes and consequences, and social and governmental reactions to it.

Is Criminology for you?  

Criminology is for students who have an active interest in a multitude of fields, and seek to develop a critical and focused mind. It requires an interdisciplinary and integrative approach to questions of individual and societal behaviour.

Criminology is also for students interested in acquiring an in-depth understanding of the complexities of criminal, delinquent and deviant behaviour, as well as society’s reaction to crime.

Where can Criminology take you?

  • Law Enforcement, policing, corrections
  • Community or Regional Planning
  • Victim, Witness, Youth and Family
  • Advocacy
  • Consulting firms
  • Criminal, forensic and private investigations
  • Public administration, risk management
  • International development agencies and organizations
  • Education and academia
  • Government policy analyst or researcher, Public Service Commission of Canada
  • Foreign Service Worker, Immigration Officer


Areas of Study

Criminology offers courses covering a range of complex issues including psychological/sociological causes of deviance, terrorism, forensics, environmental crime and restorative justice. A Police Studies Concentration is offered exclusively at SFU Surrey.

Criminology courses are integrated with courses from psychology sociology, political science, economics, history, philosophy, computing science and mathematics, so students are able to pursue their interests in areas such as crime prevention, corrections, law enforcement, law and law reform and research policy and analysis.

Criminology courses are offered at all three SFU campuses: Burnaby, Surrey, and Vancouver. Students of Criminology may also participate in international field schools and exchange programs, as well as gain job experience in co-op placements.

Get in Touch

For more information contact an undergraduate academic advisor.