Financial Aid & Awards
⌚ 4 min read
📆 Last updated: January 2023
FAS GF applications are due February 10, 2023 at 3:30pm.
New regulation: Students who have already defended their thesis are not eligible for financial award funding.
- MSE Graduate Fellowship Policy
- SFU Dean of Graduate Studies
- Scholarships and Awards (Graduate Fellowships, FAS Graduate Fellowships, private scholarship, etc.)
- Innovation Office at SFU
GFs are the most common type of merit-based financial award at graduate level. Students will be notified by email every time a GF competition opens. Applicaitons are submitted through the Graduate Awards Application Adjudication System (GA3). Below are the requirements for MSE's GF competitions.
The eligibility criteria outlined below indicate the minimum requirements to be considered for GFs. Graduate Fellowships are competitive and meeting the minium requirements does not guarantee an award. Students are ranked based on their academic and research performance.
Students must meet the eligibility requirements below to be qualified for GFs:
- Successfully completed two (2) graded graduate courses
- Have minimum of 3.50 CGPA
- Be within the GF term limit for your program
- MASc students: be within the first 9 terms (9th term inclusive) of your program
- PhD students: be within the first 15 terms (inclusive) of your program
- Be enrolled full-time in the term in which you are submitting the GF application (as an MSE MASc or PhD student, if you are enrolled in at least one class, you are considered a full-time student)
- Be enrolled full-time in the term your award will be disbursed (if you are selected)
- Do not have any DE grades on your transcript
If you have a grade change request, please email firstname.lastname@example.org before the GF deadline.
- Have your supervisory committee declared within 2 terms of admission.
If you have recently declared and your form is currently being processed, you will still be eligible for GFs. Please refer to the Supervisory Committees page for details.
- PhD students beyond 6 terms of admission/transfer into the program must have passed their Qualifying Exam.
- Will not have defended your thesis before your disbursement. *NEW*
Students must attach these documents to their application.
Please include publications if you have any. Clearly indicate which ones are for journals and which ones are for conferences.
Submit it on Canvas > Curriculum Vitae and GA3.
- Supervisory Committee Report (Annual Progress Report)
Submit your Supervisory Committee Report on Canvas.
If you have received a GPR invite via goSFU, make sure it has been filled out, and your pdf report is attached to your GPR. Please see the Progress Reports page for instructions.
Students who are in their first 2 terms are exempt from submitting progress reports.
- Unofficial SFU transcript or APR
Submit it on GA3.
Make sure to submit the above documents to the locations specified and note that documents from previous GA3 applications cannot be transferred to a current application.
FAS GF applications require a letter from supervisors agreeing to match the award amount for students who are not on RAships (i.e. if you are being awarded $3,500 from FAS, your supervisor will also provide you the same amount, making your total award $7,000)
Supervisory statements are only required for FAS GFs, and should not be submitted for the Main GF competition.