Immigration Documents

Last Updated: April 05, 2024 - The information below is current as of the 'last updated' date and is subject to change without notice.

On January 22, 2024, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (IRCC) announced a number of updates and measures to the International Student Program.   As of 8:30 a.m. ET on January 22, 2024, most new post-secondary students applying for a study permit are required to include a provincial attestation letter (PAL) in their study permit application. For more information read below and visit our News and Updates page.

If you will be studying at SFU for one term, you may travel to Canada as a visitor and study.  Depending on your country of citizenship(s) you may require either a temporary resident visa (TRV) or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada.  To check to see if you need one of these documents, visit the IRCC website.

Once you have determined if you need a TRV or an eTA, please see below for information about how to apply.

Applying for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

If you are a visa-required citizen, you will need a temporary resident visa (TRV) to travel to Canada and study at SFU for one term.

In most cases, you are required to submit your TRV application online to IRCC.  The IRCC website provides information about what you will need to apply for a TRV. 

? TIP: Upload your SFU Student Exchange Letter under the section of your online document checklist asking for "Letter of Acceptance or Letter of Enrollment / Registration"

To review estimated processing times for TRV applications submitted outside Canada, visit the IRCC website and select where you will be applying from. Visa processing times vary and fluctuate. Apply as early as you can to allow extra time for any additional steps that may be required (such as giving your biometrics).

If you have questions about applying for a TRV, please contact an International Student Advisor, Immigration Specialist.  

Applying for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

If you are a citizen of an eTA required country, and you are travelling to Canada by air, you can apply for an eTA online.  Visit the IRCC website for application instructions.  

Most eTA applications are approved within minutes, however some applications can take longer.  For example, you may need to submit additional documents before your application can be approved. If this happens to you, IRCC will send you an email will with instructions. 

If you have questions about applying for an eTA, please contact an International Student Advisor, Immigration Specialist.