i This website contains general information and resources related to policies, procedures, and application processes for international students.

For the latest updates and specific information on COVID-19 including impacts on immigration applications (e.g. study permits, work permits, visas), travel restrictions, work eligibility, and medical insurance, please refer to our FAQ page:

COVID-19 FAQ for International Students

Students younger than 17 years of age who come to Canada to study and who are not accompanied by a parent or legal guardian must be cared for by a responsible adult in Canada. This person is known as a custodian.

In some cases, a custodian may also be required for students between 17 and 19 years of age (this is the age of majority in British Columbia); this decision is made at the discretion of an immigration officer. Legal arrangements must be made to give the custodian in Canada permission to act in place of a parent. Please see IRCC's "Studying in Canada - Minors" page for more information and required forms.

If you need assistance finding a custodian, consider approaching an extended family member living in British Columbia first and then, if necessary, a family friend or business associate for assistance. Alternatively, there are companies that provide such services for a fee. One such company is First Choice International Placement Inc. (contact information provided on the right)

First Choice International Placement Inc.

Tel: 1.604.984.0868
Fax: 1.604.984.2373

The company listed above is neither endorsed by, nor affiliated with, Simon Fraser University. This information is simply listed as a resource for students looking for agent services. Simon Fraser University assumes no liability for any disputes arising from custodianship or other services advertised. You and your parents should be aware that you will need to pay for this service and it should be an arrangement they, and you, have researched and feel comfortable with.