On January 22, 2024, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (IRCC) announced a number of updates and measures to the International Student Program. The complete details can be found on the IRCC website or on our News & Updates page.

You can apply for a study permit online via the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.  Visit the SFU website for more information about how to submit a study permit application online.    

You also have the option of submitting your study permit application upon your arrival at a Canadian Port of Entry (e.g. your airport of arrival or land crossing into Canada) if you are:

  • a national or permanent resident of the United States (US)
  • someone who has lawfully been admitted to the US for permanent residence
  • a resident of Greenland or St. Pierre and Miquelon

Please review the information below carefully if you will be applying for a study permit at the port of entry:

As of 8:30 a.m. ET on January 22, 2024, unless exempted*most new post-secondary students are required to include a provincial attestation letter (PAL) from the province or territory where they will be studying in their study permit application.

* Graduate students in master's or doctoral degree programs are exempt from the PAL requirement. Learn more about the PAL exemptions here.

It is important that you carefully consider your options and whether to apply at the port of entry or online.  If you are planning to apply for a study permit at the port of entry, we advise speaking with an SFU International Student Advisor, Immigration Specialist prior to doing so. 

Application at the port of entry

Fill out the IRCC application form in advance and prepare the required documentation to present upon arrival. You will need proof of citizenship, a secondary piece of official identification, your official letter of acceptance (also known as an admission letter or admission offer) from SFU, the application fee and proof of sufficient funds.  Visit the IRCC website for more information about making a study permit application upon entering Canada. 

If you are not a US citizen, in most cases you will be required to give your biometrics upon arrival at the port of entry to Canada when making your study permit application. Visit the IRCC website to find out if you will need to give your biometrics.