On January 22, 2024, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (IRCC) announced a number of updates and measures to the International Student Program. A cap will be placed on the intake of outside Canada study permit applications, resulting in approximately 360,000 approved permits. The number allocated to British Columbia or SFU is not known at this time.

The following updates are highlighted into two parts for undergraduates and graduate students. Note that the information on this page is current as of February 2, 2024.

Undergraduate Students:

1.     Beginning January 22, 2024, unless exempted, most international students must include an attestation letter with their outside Canada study permit applications.

2.     Current students applying to extend or change the conditions of their study permits within Canada are exempt from having an attestation letter.

3.     In the weeks ahead, spouses/common-law partners of undergraduate students will no longer qualify for open work permits. IRCC has yet to announce the implementation date.

Graduate Students:

1.     Master’s and PhD students are exempt from the study permit intake cap and requirement of attestation letter for their study permit applications.

2.     Post-Graduation Work Permit of three years will soon be available to some graduates with master's degrees whose program duration was less than two years.  More details on the eligibility criteria have not been announced yet by IRCC.

For more information about how the above updates may impact you, review our News and Updates section.  We will update the page with new details as they become available.

If you are joining SFU from a Canadian high school, you are not required to make any changes to your study permit before you begin your classes, provided that the permit is still valid. However, if your study permit will expire soon you must apply to extend it before the expiry date.

You may also want to apply to change your study permit conditions, even if your study permit will not expire soon. A change of conditions will allow you to work on or off campus while studying at SFU (provided you meet certain eligibility requirements).

Apply several months in advance if you need to extend or change the conditions of your study permit (see Extend your study permit for details). If you have plans to travel outside of North America before beginning your classes, ensure your temporary resident visa or electronic travel authorization (if required) is also valid.