The information on this page has been reviewed by International Student Advisors on August 4th, 2023.

Travel to Canada

What documents should I carry when I travel to Canada?

All international students must carry supporting documents to ensure that they meet some basic requirements. These documents include but are not limited to: 

y A valid study permit, or a Letter of Introduction confirming that your study permit has been approved by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) 

y Depending on your country of citizenship, you may require a valid temporary resident visa (TRV) or electronic travel authorization (eTA) in addition to your study permit in order to travel to Canada. For more information, please visit the IRCC website.  

y A copy of a valid letter of Acceptance from SFU

i Please note that the documents you use for travel should be as current as possible. For example, your Confirmation of Enrollment letter should be for the current or upcoming term - not for a past term. 

y Proof of funds available to support you in Canada 

y Proof of a valid immigration medical examination, if required 

We recommend that you review the IRCC Prepare for Arrival webpage for more information about what may be required from you when you enter Canada. 

For more information about what to expect at the Canadian port of entry (airport or land border crossing), you can also visit our Travelling to Canada webpage