Launch your career as an editor or validate your experience with a respected credential. Following Editors Canada Professional Editorial Standards, our online certificate program covers the four stages of editing: structural, stylistic, copy editing and proofreading, as well as editorial roles, the publishing process and more. You’ll gain the professional tools and techniques you need to polish diverse writing styles and work effectively with writers and designers.
Why this program?
- Develop the key competencies required for Editors Canada certification
- Build marketable skills in your choice of specialized areas
- Learn from experienced working editors
- Take fully online courses on a flexible schedule
- Start with individual courses and apply to the program at any time
- Graduate with a certificate that confers SFU alumni status
2–5 years (from start date of first course)
To graduate, complete all courses with a minimum average grade of B- (70%).
3–10 weeks (9–30 instructional hours)
Self-paced within set deadlines
- Advanced Study in Writing for Business and the Professions (BCPW205)
- Ethics and Legal Issues in Writing and Publishing (BCPW210)
- Editors and Editing: An Introduction (EDIT110)
- Copy Editing (EDIT210)
- Proofreading (EDIT225)
- Document Design and Production for Editors (EDIT240)
- Grammar (EDIT250)
- Stylistic Editing (EDIT320)
- Structural Editing (EDIT330)
- Final Project: Editing (EDIT410)
Elective courses (minimum 24 hours; choose from list):
See individual courses for textbook details
$350–$930/course, not including textbooks
$75 program application fee
Register for individual courses at any time, with the option to apply to the program later.
Enroll in the certificate program to:
- Track your progress in your student account
- Access potential tax credits
- Be eligible to graduate when you finish