Senate Committee on University Priorities
Standing (Reporting Category "A")
|Vice-President, Academic||Chair, Ex-officio||Catherine Dauvergne|
|Dean and Associate Provost, Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (or designate)||Ex-officio||Jeff Derksen|
|Dean||Selected by the Deans and
the University Librarian
|Representation rotated on a two-year basis||May 31, 2023||Gwen Bird|
|Dean||May 31, 2022||Eugene Fiume|
|Dean||May 31, 2022||Jane Pulkingham|
|Vice-President, Research||Ex-officio||Dugan O'Neil
|Associate Vice-President, Academic||Ex-officio (non-voting)||Wade Parkhouse|
|Registrar and Executive Director,
Student Enrolment (or designate)
|Ex-officio (non-voting)||Kathryn Verkerk|
|Faculty Senator (Applied Sciences)||Elected By Senate *
||2 years||May 31, 2022||Glenn Chapman|
|Faculty Senator (Arts and Social Sciences)||2 years||May 31, 2022||Gord Myers|
|Faculty Senator (Bus. Admin.)||2 years||May 31, 2022||Connie Liu|
|Faculty Senator (Communication, Art
|2 years||May 31, 2023||
|Faculty Senator (Education)||2 years||May 31, 2023||Daniel Laitsch|
|Faculty Senator (Environment)||2 years||May 31, 2022||Tracy Brennand|
|Faculty Senator (Health Sciences)||2 years||May 31, 2023|
|Faculty Senator (Science)||2 years||May 31, 2023||Charles Walsby|
|Undergraduate Student Senator||Elected by Senate||1 year||May 31, 2022||Brianna Malott|
|Undergraduate Student Senator||1 year||May 31, 2022||Helen Pahou|
|Undergraduate Student Senator||1 year||May 31, 2022||Abhishek Parmar|
|Undergraduate Student Senator(Alternate)||1 year||May 31, 2022|
|Graduate Student Senator||1 year||May 31, 2022|
|Graduate Student Senator (Alternate)||1 year||May 31, 2022|
|Convocation Senator||Elected by Senate||3 years||May 31, 2023||Stephen Spector|
|Director, Office of Institutional Research and Planning||Ex-officio (non-voting)||Zareen Naqvi
|Chief Information Officer||Ex-officio (non-voting)||Mark Roman|
|Director, University Curriculum||Secretary ex-officio (non-voting)||Jill Sutherland|
|Coordinator, University Curriculum
||Recording Secretary ex-officio (non-voting)||Michelle Grahame|
* In the event that a Faculty Senator is unable to attend a meeting of SCUP, the Faculty Dean is authorized to appoint a replacement.
NOTE: In general an "alternate" member is invited to attend meetings when a regular member is not available. Please confirm the role of the alternate member on this committee with the committee secretary.
2021 Meeting Schedule
SCUP meetings will be held on Wednesdays from 2:00 - 4:00 (Room - TBD). Occasionally meetings may be cancelled so please confirm meeting dates with Recording Secretary, Michelle Grahame, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Date of Meeting (2021)
||Material Deadline||Distribution Date|
|January 6, 2021||December 11, 2020||December 18, 2020|
|January 20, 2021||January 8, 2021||January 14, 2021|
|February 3, 2021||January 22, 2021||January 28, 2021|
|February 17, 2021||February 5, 2021||February 11, 2021|
|March 10, 2021||February 26, 2021||March 4, 2021|
|April 21, 2021||April 9, 2021||April 15, 2021|
|May 12, 2021||April 30, 2021||May 6, 2021|
|June 2, 2021||May 21, 2021||May 27, 2021|
|June 16, 2021||June 4, 2021||June 10, 2021|
|July 14, 2021||July 2, 2021||July 8, 2021|
|September 8, 2021||August 27, 2021||September 2, 2021|
|September 22, 2021||September 10, 2021||September 16, 2021|
|October 6, 2021||September 24, 2021||September 30, 2021|
|Octobr 20, 2021||October 8, 2021||October 14, 2021|
|November 3, 2021||October 22, 2021||October 28, 2021|
|November 17, 2021||November 4, 2021||November 10, 2021|
|December 1, 2021||November 19, 2021||November 25, 2021|
Quorum - Six Members
Committee meetings normally are scheduled monthly on Wednesday at 2pm with adjournment not later than 5pm.
SCUP reports to Senate in May of each year.
Terms of Reference
- To be responsible for the operation of the system of academic planning established in the Senate Guidelines for Academic Plans.
- To recommend the priorities that should be attached to the central allocation of resources required to implement approved new programs and strengthen existing programs.
- To review and approve letters of intent for submission to the provincial program review process.
- To consider and make recommendations to Senate on proposals for new undergraduate and graduate programs and the discontinuance of programs.
- To be responsible for the operation of the system of external review of academic units set out in the Senate Guidelines for External Reviews.
- To receive and review recommendations for the establishment and disestablishment of academic departments and research units, and centres and institutes under Policy R40.01, and forward recommendations to Senate.
- To provide advice to the President on the annual operating budget, annual capital budget, and Five Year Capital Plan before they are submitted to the Board of Governors for their approval. In carrying out this responsibility, SCUP will:
- Maintain an overview and familiarity with the operating and capital funds of the University, with the current financial environment, and with financial opportunities and constraints impacting the University.
- Consult with the university community concerning the preparation of the operating and capital budgets.
- Have provided to it confidential and non-confidential budgetary and related documentation as required to assist in the conduct of its work. (Guidelines for SCUP budget considerations - see Senate Paper S.01-29.)
2011/2012 - S.12-75 SCUP Annual Report
2010/2011 - S.11-65 SCUP Annual Report
2009/2010 - S.10-77 SCUP Annual Report
2008/2009 - S.09-70 SCUP Annual Report
2007/2008 - S.08-68 SCUP Annual Report
2006/2007 - S.07-73 SCUP Annual Report
2005/2006 - S.06-64 SCUP Annual Report
2004/2005 - S.05-70 SCUP Annual Report
2003/2004 - S.04-38 SCUP Annual Report