Immigration Documents: After you Arrive

Apply for a Temporary Resident Visa

Planning a trip outside Canada and the continental US? You will need a valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) in addition to your valid Study Permit to re-enter Canada, unless you are from a country that is exempt from this requirement. If you are unsure, check the IRCC website for a list of countries whose citizens need a visa to enter Canada to visit, study or work temporarily. If you are exempt from this requirement, please disregard this section.

If you do need a TRV and are planning a trip outside Canada, you should apply for a new TRV from within Canada before you leave. Processing times may be very lengthy at peak holiday times such as summer and Christmas, so allow yourself plenty of time. 

Alternatively, you may apply to a Canadian Consulate in your home country. Immigration officials reserve the right to interview applicants if necessary. You should also keep in mind that if you are submitting your application outside Canada, you may be required to give your biometrics, which can add to the processing time. For more information on biometrics, visit the IRCC website

Please note: Most travellers entering Canada need either an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a TRV.  Please visit the IRCC website for more information. 

Temporary resident visa resources and handouts: