Immigration Documents: After you Arrive

Extend your family members' documents

When extending immigration documents for your family members (e.g. work permit or visitor status for your spouse; visitor status or study permits for your children), please keep the following tips in mind:

  • All dependants (including children) require their own documents.
  • Documents must be extended before their expiry date.
  • You can apply to extend your study permit, work permit and all the documents of your family members online through MyCIC.
  • Pay the appropriate fee for each family member.
  • Visitor documents may include a stamp in the passport or a visitor record (looks like a study permit)

Apply for or extend a spouse/partner work permit

Accompanying spouses or common-law partners of full-time international students are eligible for an open work permit, which means they do not need a job offer or a Labour Market Impact Assessment from Service Canada.

Your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible for a work permit if:

  • you are a full-time student at an authorized post-secondary institution and
  • you hold a valid study permit.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada defines common-law partners as people of the same or opposite sex who currently cohabitate and have cohabitated in a conjugal relationship for at least one year. Full details of spousal work permit eligibility are available on the IRCC website.

If your spouse or common-law partner has already entered Canada as a visitor, they may apply for an open work permit online.  For details of the application process and documents required, please review the "Work Permits for Spouses/Common-Law Partners" handout on our Instruction Guides page.