Immigration Documents: After you Arrive

Extending or Changing Conditions on your Study Permit

Your study permit must remain valid for the duration of your studies in Canada. If you will need to extend your study permit, we recommend that you submit your application for extension about 4 to 6 months in advance of expiration.

Processing times vary - visit the IRCC website for current, estimated processing times. Delays in processing may occur, so apply 4 to 6 months in advance if possible.

As long as IRCC receives your study permit extension application before the expiration date of your current study permit, you will have maintained status (formerly known as implied status) to remain in Canada and continue studying (and working, if meeting the eligibility requirements) while you await processing, even if your study permit expires while you wait. For more information about maintained status, visit the IRCC website.

If you plan to travel abroad during a period when your study permit is about to expire, contact an International Student Advisor, Immigration Specialist to discuss your options for a study permit extension and/or applying for a new study permit from outside Canada.  We will help you to understand your options based on your specific circumstances so that you can make an informed decision.

You may apply online via the IRCC website to extend your study permit and/or your dependant family members’ immigration documents together. 

If your passport is expiring, you must renew it before you apply to extend your study permit.  See Renew your passport for details.


Note: Your study permit will expire on the earlier of the following dates: the expiry date printed on your study permit or 90 days after you complete your studies.

You can find more information on how to apply to extend your study permit by reading the handouts on our Instruction Guides page, or by visiting the IRCC website.