On January 22, 2024, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (IRCC) announced a number of updates and measures to the International Student Program. The complete details can be found on the IRCC website on our News & Updates page.

In this section, you'll find information on the process for extending your study permit and passport, as well as applying for a temporary resident visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) if you plan to travel outside of Canada.

If your study permit was issued for less than the amount of time you will take to complete your degree, you must extend it before it expires.  It is your responsibility to ensure that your documents (study permit and passport) remain valid during your studies in Canada, so make sure to keep track of all expiry dates to maintain your immigration status.

Transferring to SFU from FIC or another Canadian institution?

You must log in to your MyCIC account and notify IRCC that you have transferred to SFU from your previous institution before you begin your studies at SFU. This is required each time you transfer between institutions in Canada.

If your study permit will soon expire, in addition to the process above you must also apply to extend it before the expiry date. Visit the extend your study permit section for instructions on how to extend your status.

Coming to SFU from a Canadian high school?

You will need to change your study permit conditions before you can start your studies at SFU. See High School Students in Canada: Change Conditions for information on this process.