On January 22, 2024, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (IRCC) announced a number of updates and measures to the International Student Program. The complete details can be found on the IRCC website or on our News & Updates page.

Planning a trip outside Canada and the continental US?  You will need a valid temporary resident visa (TRV) in addition to your valid study permit to re-enter Canada, unless you are a citizen of a country that is exempt from this requirement.

You can visit the IRCC website to see if you will require a TRV to travel to Canada.  If you are exempt from this requirement, please disregard this section.

If you do need a TRV and are planning a trip outside Canada, you should apply for a new TRV from within Canada before you leave. Processing times may be very lengthy at peak holiday times such as summer and Christmas, so allow yourself plenty of time.  

Alternatively, you may submit an application for a new TRV to be processed from outside Canada while you are away. Immigration officials reserve the right to interview applicants if necessary. You should also keep in mind that if you are submitting your application outside Canada, there may be additional application requirements (e.g. biometrics). For more information, we recommend reviewing the country-specific visa office instructions for the responsible office where you will be applying on the IRCC website

To review the current, estimated processing times for TRV applications in Canada and outside of Canada, visit the IRCC website

Please note: Most travellers entering Canada need either an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a TRV.  Please visit the IRCC website for more information. 

Temporary resident visa (TRV) instruction guides: