ICBC (Insurance Corporation of British Colulmbia) issues driver licenses, BC ID, vehicle registration, and auto insurance. 

Driver's Licence

If you are a full-time international student, you may drive in BC with a valid international driving licence. While driving, carry your valid International Driving Permit or home driver's licence (and an official translation if it is not in English), your valid SFU student ID card and your study permit. Translation services are available through MOSAIC.

If you become a permanent resident of Canada, are no longer a full-time student, or wish to apply for a BC licence, varying rules apply. Visit the ICBC website for details.

Automobile insurance

ICBC (Insurance Corporation of British Columbia) provides universal auto insurance to all BC motorists and is also responsible for driver licensing and vehicle enrollment. All BC motorists must have “Basic Autoplan” coverage, which provides the minimum insurance coverage required by law.

If you're bringing your car into BC from another province or country and are a full-time student from outside of BC who is attending school here, you may need a permit to operate your vehicle here. You must get the permit within 30 days of your arrival. It will be good for up to six months, or until your existing insurance expires, whichever happens first. If you don’t have insurance, you’ll have to buy some as part of the operating permit. Contact ICBC Interjurisdictional Licensing at 604.443.4624 for more information.

If you have questions, call ICBC at 1.800.950.1498 or visit their website.

Parking on the Burnaby campus

New students are assigned parking using a lottery system. Students have the opportunity to purchase reserved parking spaces in the West Mall and Convocation Mall if available. These reserved spaces are available during “open sale” periods held before the beginning of the term, and are sold on a first-come/first-served basis only. Parking rates vary across campus. For detailed information, visit the SFU Parking Services website.